HD 147 review by Line 6

Line 6: HD 147

Purchased from: ebay

I was surprised by this amp. Going from a 5150 all tube monster, I was skeptical of a digital amp. After playing with it for a few weeks, I was impressed by quality of the different models on board. Every amp can also be used through different digital cabs. Running through a Line 6 4x12 cab gets the most pure sound from the amp itself. Right now, I'm running the four different channels with a liquidy clean, punchy blues, intense metal and a brown sound setting. All of them deliver fantastically. The amp also has a nice noise gate built in, as well as a compressor, both of which kick in at the touch of a button on the front. Very versatile and quality sound.

It can be tedious going through the amp and dialing in your sound, as it has literally thousands of possible combinations. The manual is incredibly useful and can be found at the Line 6 website. I play a wide range of stuff, metal being my favorite. I do occasionally get the Hendrix or SRV itch, and have been messing with clean classical stuff as well, and this amp covers them all. Probably the best Line 6 has put out. I like the Vetta, and it is a more popular amp, but I prefer this one. It's overpriced new, I'll admit, but you can easily get it used pretty cheap. I do wish I had my 5150 combo with me, but I would have a hard time selling the HD 147 when I get the Peavey back. I think I'll hold onto it until it dies. If you are looking for an all metal all the time amp, there are better ones. Like the 5150/6505. But if you want to play a wide variety of styles as well as love messing with your tone and playing mad scientist with your settings, you will love his amp.

I don't know much about reliability for this one, as I haven't gigged with it yet. I'm also worried about it being so digital. It is basically a giant computer, and should it ever crash, it's pretty much useless. But I haven't had any problems yet. So reliability and durability is in question, but not because it's poorly made, but because I don't have anything except woodshedding to mention.

This is a modeling amp, with an incredible amount of options to choose from. Sounds range from classic Fenders and Marshall's to 5150, Mesa, and Uberschal. A drawback of the amp is that you pretty much NEED to get the FBV shortpedal, at least, to really get the value of the amp. There really is countless features of this amp. Add in a MIDI cable, and you can download tones from websites. It is the perfect amp for recording and going through a PA. Can play any style, as the cleans are exceptionally clean, and the distortions range from a little fuzz to brutal. Plus, it looks cool and has those pretty black lights built in that come through the front grill.

celticstorm84
    I've had the amp for about a year now. I honestly love the thing. Durable, reliable...modeling aside because if I say it sounds like a dual rec someone will try to flame me...it sounds amazing. You can dial in whatever you want and not think a great deal about it. And it's loud as hell, good for gigs and venues of many sizes.