HD 147 review by Line 6

Line 6: HD 147

Purchased from: eBay

I play mainly heavy metal, playing metallica, maiden, etc, I find that this amp growls when you chug, and can change into very smooth solo tones, you can change from clean with a slight bit of delay and chorus, to a straight forward metal tone, to a driven solo tone with a lushful delay. Imo, for rock/metal, I find 99% of the amp models suck, they're too over driven, too tinny, to digital, EXCEPT Bomber Uber Orange, this is my only distorted amp I use (with either no cabinet simulation or the Bomber uber). It sound heavy and each string is defined in a crunchy type of way. I love the sound, and for a solid state, it is a very useful amp not having to fork out for tubes, and wait around for warming up. I find the FX very good, each setting only has "more or less", eg on chorus, you can choose a very slight chorus or a very defined chorus, so its not complex to set up. With an FBV pedal you can have 4 channel (with FBV express pedal which is what I use) and easily change from different channels and I use this often to add delay and a comp (adds sustain) for solos. I know I'm not reviewing the FBV express pedal but it is a good pedal for channel switching and tuning etc, the wah pedal isnt the best in the world, but if your on a budget, you can't go wrong. Btw I'm playing through A Marshall M412A, a good cab, cheaper than the Vintage 30 line 6, and seen as the Vintage cab is like 240W... The 300W head would eventually break the speakers if you play loudly, hence I got a 300w cab, which sounds fantastic!

For Metal this amp is great! For rock, its great, for cleans, its good, for buckethead ridiculously fast soloing, its great, for metallica fans, for iron maiden fans, for pantera fans (Dimebag darell used a solid state amp like the HD147) for any metal or rock fans this amp will be awesome for you! All the FX you'll need without having to fork out on more FX, and easy channel switching, don't listen to the shitty promo vid on Line 6, yes ben moodys tones were awesome but the man playing live sound shit,... Well guess what? He can't f--king EQ this amp! My settings are Bomber uber amp, Bomber uber amp cab, and all the EQ (inc gain) and 12 o clock and you have a sick tone! I record using a Shure SM57 going into logic, it sounds AMAZING! Also live it sounds awesome! Btw sorry to disappoint you but the amp is discontinued, but if you see one cheap on eBay, (like me) you can go wrong.

I bought the amp 2nd hand and it was broken slightly, there was a fault in the power board which had to be replaced for 150... Yay... But ever since Line 6 fixed it no problems. One thing I must say is that Line 6 customer service is s*** on the phone, I rang up MANY times and could never even get through! This was when I was trying to get it fixed. I ended up taking to the Neville Brothers in Derby who then managed to get in touch with line 6. No further problems with it. If I was to ever gig with it, it should be durable, it plays loud enough (if not a pa will sort you out... Then again 300w?) and since it doesn't use tubes that's one less thing you have to worry about.

As you've read this amp has LOADS of amp models, and amp cabs, with a 4 band eq (bass, mid, treble and presence), Drive (gain) 4 channels (more with the foot pedal) volume (so you can set each channel at different volumes) reverb, then a tonne of different delays, with a tap tempo and feedback adjuster, and mods such as chorus flanger tremolo and phaser! Also a very effective gate, a comp and a master volume. It has 4 speaker outs, and you can choose 4 8 or 16 ohms, and connect to either 1, 2 or 4 cabs! A headphone out (slightly different sound imo) XLR outputs, (ok for recording but micing will give you a better sound) an FBV pedal port, a groud lift, and midi in/out, and a stereo FX loop. This amp certainly has tonnes of features to make your own sound, and it will be a good sound!