Spider 210 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider 210

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

I find this amp is best used with humbuckers. You can get some great metal tones if you adjust the knobs. I found that most of the presets suck and that it takes a few weeks to figure out how to get some good tones This is a great amp for people who enjoy playing Heavy metal, blues and hard rock. It is not the greatest when it comes to getting those classic crunch tones I am yet to find a good one. This amp can also be used kind of like a Line 6 POD if you run a cable out of the head phone jack and through the effects return of a quality tube amp.

Overall I think it is a great amp. I highly recomend it for people who are starting out and want everything all in one package. I have some Ibanezes and a Fender Stratocaster and they all are cabable of sounding great on this amp you just have to find the right settings. If it were stolen I would definetly consider buying another one although the amount of power is a bit unnecessary for just jamming in the house.

It has never broken down (yet). Construction seems good.

The Spider II is a totally awesome amp. It has twelve chanels from clean to insane. It also has effects. I like the chorus and the delay it just seems like some of the other effects are a bit over the top. 120 watts of power cranks! I have barely turned it past 3 on the green metal chanel without shaking the house. It is a solid state amp but Line 6 did a great job in making so so the louder you turn it it almost starts sounding better.

dirtfoot
    I bought mine from Mars music in 1997-1998 and I'm still using this amp. Clean, recto and insane were the only settings that only I cared to use. I recently bought an EQ(MXR KFK1) and plugged it in after the guitar(Dimarzio- Tone Zone, Pro Track and Chopper -Charvel Model 375+), the remaining lame ass settings(crunch, twang etc) on this amp seemed to awaken after all these years! Insane and recto seemed to quickened to its upmost brutality as well. Bottom line: an EQ will bring new life to this amp.
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: We have this amp at school (maybe it's a 2x12 version) but I have to say that I'm not completely happy with it. It's got great clean sound with chorus on but distortion doesn't sound so good. When I turned up the volume with full gain on recto sound I heard so much hum when palm muting that I had to lower the gain. And then it sounded crappy. Delay is too short. It doesn't have so much delay time, maybe some 250 ms. It's got some cool sounds but some crappy too.
    And I noticed that if I play with full drive and recto sound it feels like it doesn't have any gain. The distortion is pretty brutal but doesn't have gain and you can't play pinch harmonics or anything like that. The delay hasn't got any repeats so it's pretty useless. When you turn the volume control first the volume level doesn't get higher but then BANG!! the volume is too high. So it's pretty impossible to get that volume level that you want. My band practices in our school so I have to use our school's amps. I never use this amp in our school any more. I've started to use our school's Laney TF200 or HH electronic 50 series. They sound much much better.
    ledzepp3108
    MaggaraMarine
    ledzepp3108 wrote: MaggaraMarine wrote: Does anybody know how to edit the presets? What buttons should I press to edit the presets?? Once you have changed the settings to what you want to save, hold down the preset button to which you want to save it and it should save.
    Yeah! It works, thanks. We have this at our school and our band's guitarist uses it. I just don't like its feel and distortion sounds. Not that full and rich sounding. And too bassy/muddy, you need to tweak the EQ to get decent sounds on "Recto" setting and turn the bass knob down.
    MaggaraMarine
    Sorry for spamming here but I have noticed that I have written something that I didn't really know. I didn't realize that there's a tap tempo delay. And we got some decent sounds after tweaking the knobs. Bass down! It's damn bassy if the knob is at over 4 of 10 or something. And I think it has that kind of sound that overruns everything but you still can't hear anything from your playing. But yeah... it's a school amp so people just tweak the knobs randomly and it sounds awful. People just can't eq. Things I like: when my band's other guitarist uses the amp. It sounds pretty decent. Clean + chorus. Recto sound is decent after some tweaking. 4 presets. Things I don't like: when I'm playing it. It lacks the presence of an amp and sounds more like somebody playing the song on CD. That's really not a bad thing soundwise but I just don't like if I don't feel my playing if you know what I mean. Too bassy when people can't eq. Overrunning sound, doesn't cut through the mix that well. "Marshall sound" isn't that great, it's lacking something. Hope that this was my last post about how this amp sucks or is good. Because now I'm much more experienced that I was a year ago. And know about good or bad sound much more than before.