Spider II 112 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Line 6: Spider II 112

Purchased from: Musik-Service, Germany

I use the amp with a Gibson J-100 Xtra, with a (later on) build in piezo pickup, and with an Ibanez AS83 (335) with 2 humbuckers. The amp is pretty noise free in all settings and can go from nice clean to absolutely wild distortion; plenty to choose from or change to your own liking. When I bought the amp a noticed it had a: Chorus/Flanger setting, but only realized after I received the amp, that these two effects are always mixed! I've never been keen on a flanger effect and now it's always present when I use the chorus setting. All the effects come into operation with quite a bang, they're not gradual enough.

I started playing guitar 40 years ago, and play mainly rhythm guitar. The amp has got many nice features, but also many shortcomings, that's why I wouldn't buy this amp again. I don't gig anymore, but if I did, I would use my 100 Watt Marshall with Clean and Lead and an effect-box.

Time will tell if the amp is durable and I think it's useless for gigging, unless you don't switch a lot between sound effects.

I bought the amp On-line in October 2004. I take my hat off for the store's fast delivery: ordered in the afternoon in Germany and deliverd the next day in The Netherlands; top speed! I play blues, country-rock, pop-rock, rock & roll etc, and there are plenty of amps simulations and built in effects to choose from to suit these styles. A footswitch was included that makes you able to choose from 4 different amp settings (A, B, C, D); pre-sets of your own. It's a pity that there's no lead setting on the amp or footswitch. The drawback of this footswitch is, that if you play a song in witch you use setting B and D, you have to go through C to get to D; very annoying! So it's no use for a on stage performance. It's got a headphone jack, handy, as I use the amp mainly in my livingroom and the 75 watts of power is plentyfull for these sircumstances. As a bonus, it's got a built in guitar tuner. it's a bit jumpy, but works ok.