Spider II 112 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 112

Purchased from: Portman's Music

First off I play '80s heavy metal. I have four guitars I use this amp with 1999 BC Rich NJ Warlock w/Dimarzio humbuckers, 2001 Epiphone Explorer w/EMG 81/60A humbuckers, 2003 Gibson Faded Flying V w/stock humbuckers, ESP KH-602 Kirk Hammett Signature w/EMG 81/85 humbuckers. None of these guitars is for country or for blues, but the amp gives off a decent clean tone on either the green led clean or twang, but the red led clean has an annoying echo sound that I don't really like. The blue's settings are okay, don't really shine but then again they aren't bad. If you have a suitable Les Paul or something of the sort you may come to find a good way to tweak it. Crunch is a bit sorry- not too great at all. Now, for my favorite(s) metal. The green led metal is fairly decent if you turn up the bass and mid. The red led is absolutely perfect for lead guitar. I use the amps phase shifter effect a little on this setting and find it is amazing. I haven't seen a stock distortion sound so good for lead (apart from my neighbors Marshall half stack-lucky guy). The insane settings go just a little over the top to me. The red led insane has this annoying effect built in that you can't turn off. Shame. The green is no better. If you're into fast palm muting you're gonna hate it. Not very crisp, death metal type distortion on this setting. Overall, absolutely no feed back up to 9 on the volume with drive all the way up - very, very loud. Will overpower drums, don't worry. The Celstion speaker does a great job for this amp's sound. I just wish it came with the 4-button footswitch instead of costing $75.

As an '80s metal lead guitarist, I like this amp overall. I wish it had a little more cojones so I could play the louder gigs with it. Great for clubs, bad for small emporiums and stuff. However, Line 6 kind of screwed themselves over when they didn't include a footswitch with this amp. First, they make the buttons incredibly small for the channels, then they make you charge $75 for a footswitch? Also, the blue's and insane settings need some serious work. Not very impressed considering that's what just everybody rants and raves about. Not that great. In conclusion, if you're an intermediate guitarist looking for a decent band practice/small gig amp, this is it! More experienced guitarists will find that this is a great modeling amp for any set-up and will find all the little gizmos and effects make for a great overall playing experience. IF you need an amp for $300- bucks, this is my first pick. You won't regret it.

I have gigged eleven times with this amp. I was really nervous my first time because I thought it would short out or the speaker would blow. Nothing happened at all. We opened up with Lepper Messiah and I was releived that the amp didn't crackle or fizz at the crazy volume I had it set at. However, just out of plain common sense - always, always, bring a back-up or hook yourself into your PA (if you have one) and turn the amp down to save your amp a little headache. Also, don't kick it (don't ask how I know) or the input jack will come loose and you have to open it up and tighten it back. Other than my own stupidity, rock solid. very impressed.

This amp is a brand new 2004 Spider II 75 Watt amplifier. About four months ago I went in to look at a Marshall 100 Watt combo and saw this amp. I had heard some great things, but I wanted to do a comparison. The Marshall had a bit better bite for lead guitar playing, but the Line 6 had a much grittier low end growl. I fell in love that instant. Then, I spent about 2 hours just tweaking around with the different effects and finding sounds I really liked. Eventually, I decided that the Line 6 was a better deal and the next day came back and took it home. Later that night, I set up the four channels to my liking (note: four channels - tweakable however you want! Think about the possibilities).