Spider II 112 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 112

This amp has nice cleans, though twang is best for clean in my opinion. The metal and insane settings sound great on green LED, though the reds aren't too usable to me. The weakness of the amp is the crunch channel, which really falls short in my view. To get a decent classic rock sound, one must use a heavier model and just lower the drive. You can get truly great distorted sounds out of this if you try, but it takes time. Slight adjustments in EQ, drive, and effects make a big difference. Don't just play around with it for 10 minutes and denounce it 'cause you haven't figured it out yet. Chorus is good, though flanger and phaser seem too overpowering. Still, onboard effects are just icing on the cake.

I've been playing for a little over 2 years and have become something of a tonal nazi. I know what sounds good and what doesn't. Quite simply, this can sound good. It can also sound crappy if you let it. Mess with the settings and I guarantee you'll find something you like. I just can't stand to see good products trashed, especially for such dumb reasons as mr. blink uses below this. I recommend that everyone simply disregard that review. By the way, we're all quite impressed that you own expensive guitars. Though if I can rock this amp with my $300 guitar and you can't with yours, there must be some problem other than equipment here. Just saying. Sorry, I don't mean to attack anyone. Might be a little overzealous in defending my good friend, Line 6.

Hasn't ever had any trouble as I've had it. Seems strong enough to take a beating. I'd trust it absolutely.

Solid state. 12 amp models, 7 effects, 2 use at once. 4 programmable channels. So basically, this review is meant to be a rebuttal of the previous review, which is full of crap. The reviewer says that you can't turn off the effects. If he read the manual, he'd know you can reprogram the factory settings quite simply. He also complains about having to run to the amp to change the channel. True, you do need to spend the $80 to get the footswitch, but are other amps any different? Further, the reviewer says that the knobs are difficult and make it easy to turn to the wrong model and play with the wrong setting. They're knobs. If you're not smart enough to turn them the right way, you shouldn't buy this amp.