Spider II 112 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 112

I'm playing an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top though my Spider, and I personally think it sounds great. I play all styles of music, and the amp is very versitile. I do get some feedback, but that's just because I need a new cable, and the built-in noise gate feature helps cut that down. The amp, I think, delivers very good tones, from nice cleans to heavy distortion. This amp can reach a crazy level of distortion; some say that the distortion sounds digital, but I don't think so.

This amp fits me perfectly. I've been playing for about a year now, and this is my second amp, next to a Fender Frontman 15G. Needless to say, this thing blows it away. It's got all that I need for quite awhile, and it fits me perfectly. Many people don't like Spider II's; I say, don't listen to them, and play one yourself. I'm pretty sure you'll be surprised. I love this amp; it's inexpensive, loud, and has a very high distortion. Great value.

This thing is built like a rock. It's a solid 40 pounds, and I'd be pretty sure you could throw a baseball at this thing and you wouldn't be able to tell. My amp has never broken down either. It's a very nice piece of equipment, and I would definatley use it in a gig without a backup.

I'll just say: I absolutley love this amp. You can have your own 4 preset channels, and have them set however you like. There is also 12 different amp models, and seven effects. I like all of the amp models, though the red "insane" model doesn't really fit anything I do. The effects are useful, but obviously aren't as high-quality as pedals. I play just about everything, and this is a very versitile amp. It's also very loud, loud enough for small gigs, but at the same time, retains tone. The amp also has an output jack, which I haven't used yet. Also, it might be noted that the amp has a built in noise-gate and tuner, which both work quite well.

slash_rocks2005
    personally i think if ur going for a modeling amp...go w/ the Vox Valvetronix amps. verrrryyyy good tones for everything in my amp. has more effects to spend hours messing w/....has 11 amp models which all are distinguishable. cleans stay clean even when cranked up...distortion is great of course...i mean come on! but like everyone says, its better to test out and COMPARE the equipment first-which should lead more people over to the VOX VALVETRONIX AMPS. nothing more to say
    garfunkleskater
    all you guys hatin' on line 6 are OUT OF YOUR MINDS! these are the best amps ever. I've played many. Marshalls give that annoying old muffy sound. and the rest just dont even compare to Line 6. The spider II is amazing. and damn. A lot of people have this amp as I can see in the reviews.
    stjimmy86
    i tried this thing out. the metal on it sounds pretty damn cool with a good guitar, but the crunch has horrible distortion and i didnt care for the clean.
    the spiker
    Everyone who hates Line 6 has some personal vendetta against them for whatever idiotic reason. Most likely they can't afford to buy a beautiful amp, or they can't figure out simple knob turning to get a great sound. Line 6 makes some of the best amps in the world. Especially their half-stack. The Spider II is a wonderful amp and has great versatility. I'd like to see your Marshal, Vox, or Roland sound as sexy as my Line 6.
    Eric 666
    Who the hell says that you cant turn the effects off? just turn the knob to the left all the way and that disables em? WTF is everyone's problem?
    cgibin
    You're all ignorant morons. I have had this amp for over 2 years and have been playing for over 5. I only own this amp because I use it for my own personal use - I don't gig or anything with it recently (although I have in the past). When I did use it for gigs, only problem I had was that it was a bit too heavy in weight for my liking (not that my previous Fender wasn't heavy at all). The effects sound amazing on this guitar - for all you naysayers who say it sounds too digital, you haven't heard digital until you've listened to a Digitech pedal. This amp comes nothing close to sounding digital at all! As with all things, I sat down and messed around with the amp for a good 6 weeks before I was able to get AMAZING tone out of it (needless to say half the time I was truly ****ing around). Any tone that I have heard in a song I have been able to pull out of this amp with such ease and understanding that it was almost as if the amp did it itself. But, don't get me wrong. I'm not as biased as you think. I've been in a band and played on MESAs, Fenders, Crate, Kustoms... you name it and I've most likely had some experience with it. For it's price and versatility, this amp easily gets a 10 and blows away many of those amps that are so ridiculously priced (I can just see all you bandwagon losers bashing me right now for this one). Out of experience and knowledge, don't bash on this amp just because a blatantly ignorant comment you just-so-happened to hear from someone. And with all things, be more open-minded and respect people's opinions. //cgi.bin
    bushey37
    I have it and hate it. Digital sound quality just hasn't caught up to Analog. Maybe they'll get it right on the Spider 17.
    Shib
    When I was buying this one the guy also brough out a Marshall 50DFX and a 30DFX. Both of them sounded like crap no matter how long I played with them. God knows how long they would last anyways becuase the fans on all the DFX series get off centered and cook the whole amp. Stay away from the Marshall DFX series and go with a spider 112
    depth
    i have this amp and i am vey satisfied with its volume easy to use features and sound
    cerveza
    line 6 is a god sent perfect rock tone
    you're so wrong it's not even funny the sound of this amp would make jesus want to punch a kitten
    beefyboy232
    yeah, i was looking at new(er) solid states a few months ago, tried a bunch of different ones out, and while 2 of my friends had a Line 6 Spider II of some sort, i tried one at the store and felt for the price, it should be better than this. even at $200. it said there was a metallica tone, but i sure as hell couldnt find it. Fender solid states dont seem to have as much put into them, but they have much closer tone than Line 6 will ever generate, probably from any product they make.