Spider II 112 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 112

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio with humbuckers(obviously). The sound is fantastic. my favourite "clean tone" is the twang with no Drive. It is very clear, but the low notes have a rumble like quality. I used to play mainly rock, but since the metal settings sound so good, I can't help it. They have ear pierceing high notes and soul-crusing low notes. Palm muting sounds great on these settings aswell. The insane setting with the phaser on sounds totally different to anything I've ever heard. It soung like someone gargulling with distortion! And at high volume the clean channels don't distort. They still stay crystal clean. The chorus flange sounds great on the clean tones. Go to the blues settings on the rythym pickup with the tone dial set to zero and you think you're in a 1950's blues peformance.

Overall, fantastic! Suits every style of music you can think of. If it was lost or stolen, it would be bought again instantly. My favourite feature is the twang setting. It can be clean or distorted depending on your tone setting. The only fault I can find is that old people say it "doesn't go quiet enough".

It is so reliable. The only time I thought it was broken was when someone kicked it out of anger, and even then only the cable plugged into it had gone. Never broken yet and being played for about 2 hours a day week in week out. I don't need a back up as I can trust it far futher than I can throw it.

First of all, it is amazing. It has 12 amp models: 2 clean, 2 twang, 2 blues, 2 crunch, 2 metal and 2 insane although you can program your own. It has chorus flange, a phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo and reverb. And on the delay, tape echo and sweep echo it has a button you tap the the time into. This button also, when held down, turns the tuner on. It is a 75 watt solid state amp. You can program 4 custom settings which can be changed using the foot pedal provided. E.g. a clean one for rythym, a metal one for solos, a crunch one for 5th chords and a twang one for other things. You can set different volumes for each of these and control all of them using the master volume. It has a 3 band equaliser (treble, mid, and bass) and a Drive control.

KurtzFireEagle
    It was probably your lack of patience. I have a rare 700 guitar and some really cheap ones all of them sounded amazing. Your technique probably suzors!
    595Metallica595
    i played on of these it was perfect... exept for the distortion. i normally use a digitech metal master guitar petal and found it has a lot more vicious distortion. everything else is awesome though
    Wolfdarrigan
    Yea, i have the Line6 Spyder II 2x10 120Watt. Sure it can hit a good volume, but the knobs move when you get up that high, my whole amp is covered in tape to keep it from changing sound in the middle of a song. And like Blink said, with out a floor pedal, changing sounds sucks ass. so do your self a favor and dont buy it...
    garden of grey
    the spiker wrote: Everyone who hates Line 6 has some personal vendetta against them for whatever idiotic reason. Most likely they can't afford to buy a beautiful amp, or they can't figure out simple knob turning to get a great sound. Line 6 makes some of the best amps in the world. Especially their half-stack. The Spider II is a wonderful amp and has great versatility. I'd like to see your Marshal, Vox, or Roland sound as sexy as my Line 6.
    lol, go actually play a correctly dialed marshall or vox and tell me that.
    Muffin-Man22
    I am trying to get the Spider III 2x12, and if I can't get it through SAM ASH, then I am def. getting it as a gift from my uncle!
    E V H 5150
    Yeah, my Marshall MG15DFX could kick this things ass. I don't give a damn if my amp is cheaper, if my amp is only 25W, if I have to use a distortion pedal. I also heard that all the Line6 amps sound digital. If you need a digital amp, you are probrably into techno-guitar stuff. And as for the PodXT Live, wow. I've never used one. But I've seen pictures of it, and it looks to me like you'll need to do some menu-scrolling. With an ME-50, you just need to know how to !OMG! turn a dial. I don't care for Line6 products. And as for being poor...if all you ever do is sit at home and play guitar/dream about getting that really sweet amp/guitar so you don't have to settle for crappy amps/guitars, get your ass off the couch, and set the damn potato chips down. Get a job and save up the money. I want a Crate fullstack combo. It doesn't come with effects, but who cares? That's why I'll buy an ME-50. Because if I get a job, I will have money. It's simple. However, if you are just learning guitar, your tone doesn't matter. Unless you're a loser and right from the start learning how to read tabs, and all you care about is playing in a damn talent show.
    mark---
    haha sorry that made me laugh theres no way your line 6 sounds better than my ac30cc i used to have a spider 112 i even have a review for it on here but i sold it for my vox...for obvious reasons