Spider II 112 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 112

Purchased from: Rimmers

This is where the amp is a great let down, and is the sole reason for me replacing it. When I bought this amp I was much younger and quite naive and thought that it must be good because it can do everything, it cant. The cleans are not great and the lead is very muddy, there is no real crunch to the sound and when playing in a band situation it's hard to decipher each note specifically. I have played my SG, Strat and Ibanez through this amp (all with stock pickups mind) and have failed to get a quality tone from it. I have really tried to get everything from it, a smooth jazz tone, twangy jazz, smooth blues, crunchy rock, scooped metal - I can feel the amp trying to get to these tones but it doesn't quite cut it. It also makes a lot of feedback at high volumes but this is where the noise gate is very effective. As with the tones, so with the effects, they just aren't that great.

For a beginner Who's just learning to play by all means get this amp but be aware that when you start to look for that great tone you will want to get rid of this amp. Yes, it is loud and has flashing lights but do not let this lead you into believing the sound of this amp is just as flashy. In a way I am sad to see it go as it was my first proper amp but I am also incredibly happy as I do not want to hear those tones every again. I would not buy this amp again, sorry Line 6.

I can definately depend on this amp, it's built solidly and I've had it for about 2 years without anything going worng with it. This amp has been stood on, jumped onto, knocked over, kicked around (all in gig situations) and hasn't failed me. No backups are needed with this amp - it's even been used as a chair for two people at some times when I'm short of furniture, it hasn't broken yet. The dials are plastic but are well fitted and wont come off without a fight and the footswitch is solid metal.

This is relatively recent solid state amp to hit the market and it is loaded with features. It has 4 channels all footswitchable, 6 presets, 7 effects - ranging from phaser to reverb - a master volume, 3 band EQ, and a direct out/headphone jack. It also has a built in tuner, noise gate and channel memory. This amp really has all you could really want bar a seperate EQ for each channel. The footswitch works well with no gaps between switching channels. It has 75Watts of power and I have used it in both bedroom and small gigs, I've never needed to turn it past 1 O clock on the master volume.

Morbius77
    This amp is a piece of crap. For the same amount of money I paid for it, I got a nice 50 watt Tube amp, and a couple of effects pedals.
    pete_190290
    everyone can f*ck off. I reckon this is a decent amp. And the first review where the guy said you had to pay an extra 80 for a pedal to change channel is chattin b*ll*cks cos they come with an FBV2 pedal, it's only simple, but does the job. Get it past about 12o clock on the volume and it's awesome! my only problem with it is it was alittle over priced, but it's lasted me nearly 4 years now.
    lukas1324
    psh. this amps good at low level volumes. tub amps are better cranked up. i have the peavey 6505 nd its better at loud levels. my spider 75 watt is good at super low levels, where the feedback is bearable. line 6 is good i guess. but a tube amp will always beat it. but line doesnt SUCK like most people say. there jus full of themselves cuz they have nice tube amps. lol. such a sad world
    MaggaraMarine
    Our school has a Line 6 Spider 1 and it sounds so digital. I would recommend you to buy some Roland Cube if you want a modeling amp. They don't sound as digital as Line 6. I don't know about the other Spiders but Spider 1 sounds sooooo digital. I compared it to HH Electronic combo our school has and the HH beat it easily. The crunch channel just lacked something. And I don't get it. With a non-digital amp you will get many sounds and one real amp has much more variety than one amp model of the same amp. It may have even as much variety as the whole modeling amp. So I recommend you to buy a non-digital amp and if you want effects, buy a chorus and delay. Those are all you need at the beginning (and maybe a phaser). Of course the amp must have distortion and clean, if it doesn't just buy a distortion pedal.
    d_schokman
    If you wanted everything then this $300 dollar amp is great. If you are a serious guitarist and willing to spend the extra dollars a Boss GT-10 effects board with a Fender Twin Reverb or a Marshall Head and Cabinet is the best way to go. The Line 6 Spider is great for trying out stuff cheap. Please do not buy a Fiat 500 and expect it to work like an Aston Martin.