Spider II 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 15

My guitar would be a Schecter Gryphon with Duncan Designed humbuckups considering it has a function where you can use both the humbuckers and pickups at the same time for a tidier tone. It seems to suit any style you can throw at it. I've screwed around with the insane control and power chords for a hardcore death metal feel but I've also played nice, warm, and bright renditions of the Star Spangled Banner. My style is mostly 90s alternative including Nirvana, Green Day and Sum 41. It is only noisy when you want it to be noisy. I've only played it in one environment besides Guitar Center - my bedroom. It definately suits it well. See Features for feel of sounds the amp can make and the options to have fun with. I do believe I hear a hiss on Clean but I know I have a couple knobs turned to unwanted levels for Clean tones so I just go with it. This amp is the atomic bomb of all distortion ever. The Insane control brings distortion to an all new level. You must try this amp metal-heads!

I won't delay you people any longer and I'll just say look at the Sounds section then read my following comments in this one. I'd probably get a Spider II 30 instead for the extra power and the foot switch controls if it were stolen or lost. And if were stolen and broken I'd get it fixed, and in that I'd have them swap out the 15's guts and put in the foot switch inlet somewhere on it. I didn't try out any other amp because I knew this was going to be the one I wanted no matter because of the versatility and the things I liked about it mentioned in the above sections. All I wish it had was a foot switch inlet. And maybe a little more power.

Well, I'm not sure if this would have the power to do a gig, maybe in a small enclosure like coffee-shop size. If I were to desire to use it in a larger venue then I'm guessing I would need a branch-amp if that's possible. I've only had it for a little while (like a couple weeks) and it hasn't done anything break-down like yet.

My Line6 Spider II 15 amplifier was made in China probably recent, late 2004 to about now. This is simply my most favorite amp I've been on. Which isn't really saying much considering I've been on two Fender amps that weren't as hardcore as this. It's got enough power to make my floor shake with the insane control on and not even full-blast! This amp is more versatile than I could ever imagine. Switching from Come As You Are on clean mode with reverb to the most classic Jimi Hendrix Star Spangled Banner on insane mode with a little reverb and phaser. If I could play it correctly, which most of it I can, it would sound exactly like it! This goes switching goes on and on into my music styles, mainly alternative. This is righteous hardware here kids. Four channels, clean (auto-FX like sweep or possibly tape echo and I believe what to be a small tremolo), crunch, metal, and the last but not least insane. Channel switching is done by hand, sadly. The two effect knobs have, on the first, chorus flange, phaser, and tremolo, and on the second, sweep and tape echo and reverb. There is also a tap delay time button to show you at what rate the Echos are repeating at with a flashing light. When reverb is on, it is a solid light. The master knob controls overall sound without, get this, changing your tone! There is also a channel volume which controls the distortion, bass, mid-range, and treble knobs. You can also have two simultaneous effects going at the same time with the effects knobs, called the Smart Control FX. It has a headphone jack which doubles as a record out port. Also, there is a CD/mp3 port to plug in your favorite tune to jam with! I haven't tried out many combinations yet because I like the sounds I already make so much I don't feel like losing them! There is also a sound-save feature where you create your on effects or sound and you can save it. Wait! There's still more! You can also look in the pilot's guide to find out how to get a distortion boost and noise gate! If this amp doesn't have every feature that I don't have or need, then I want a refund! The 15watt amp is plenty powerful for screwing around with the insane mode to actually playing through a song. I also think this has enough power for about an 8" by 10" bedroom, like my own.