Spider II 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Line 6: Spider II 15

Purchased from: Guitar, Amp and Keyboard

The sound is where the amp maybe doesn't do so well. Starting with clean: The clean channel I found perfectly usable. You can get a range of different clean sounds using the effects. I'd say the clean is the best bit of the amp. Crunch channel: I suppose this channel is based on a Marshall sound. Is okay sounding but really is not brilliant at all. I had a hard time trying to get a Marshall sound. There is a certain warmth to this channel which is good but then again it is just a very sterile clean/crunchy sound which isn't very usable. Metal channel: This channel is probably based on a Mesa Boogie sort of sound. Again, it isn't brilliant but is okay for beginners. If this is supposed to replicate a Rectifier then it doesn't do exceedingly well. It isn't really expert ear's distortion but does the job. Insane channel: There isn't really any need for this channel. It seems to just suck the tone and give you a rather dreadful sound. I recommend if you are gonna use this channel then don't use the effects because it just makes it sound even worse than it potentially is. I would say this channel is fairly unusable. It is based on a Line 6 amp which probably doesn't make matters any better. As for effects. The chorus, delay and reverb are the only good ones. Unless you're making some ridiculous sounds then you won't need the other silly, mediocre and utterly pointless effects which are hardly usable. Overall, the sounds the amp generates are okay for beginners who don't know much but past that level it really just isn't good. Apart from the chorus, delay and reverb, some of the effects are a waste of space. Another thing: Pedals sound HORRIBLE through this amp. I guess this is because the speaker is just designed for the sounds on there and not for pedals. The speaker is some custom crap so it probably contributes to some of the bad sounds. My distortion pedal sounded for some reason like it had a phaser on it when it didn't and my chorus pedal crackled. DON'T USE PEDALS WITH THIS AMP!!!

Well I've been quite critical but it was for the best really. I don't recommend this amp. There are definitely better ones out there. (Marshall, Fender etc.) I actually don't even use this amp anymore. I just thought I would just say a few things about it so you get a better idea of what it is like. It served me well through my beginner stages but now unfortunately doesn't cut it. Overall, this amp is good for beginners if you really are on a tight budget, otherwise get something else-definitely do. There are 1 or 2 usable sounds, but nothing special at all. There are some pointless and tacky effects but also some usable ones. The amp has a solid structure, but I am not sure on how long the electronics and speaker will last. It's not really an amp to keep and I probably will sell mine. (I'll be happy if I get 10 pounds for it.)

This amp is very rugged, just a shame it doesn't sound that good. It has a very solid structure and definitely won't fall apart anytime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong with the circuitry and electronics/speaker as they are probably of not very good quality. (For the speaker, that's a fact.) I wouldn't use this amp live simply because of the sounds but otherwise wouldn't have a problem. I would take a backup I think just because of the electronics not being amazing.

I think mine is a 2009/2010. It is quite a unique amp, considering some of it's features. It has 4 channels, a clean channel, a crunch channel, a "metal"/overdrive channel and finally an "insane" channel which is another distortion. There are obviously standard EQ controls. There's a headphone jack and also an MP3 plug in as well which is quite good fun to use. You have 2 sets of effects including chorus/flange, delay, tremolo, reverb and also some other delay/echo effects. The amp has a custom built Line 6 speaker and is 15 watts. Overall, there are definitely some useful features on there which can be used to generate various sounds.

MaggaraMarine
    rv_phoenix wrote: Absolutely! Line 6 Spiders are nothing but digital modelling crap, delivered through one of the worst speakers on Earth. No one who has musical hearing can use them.
    We have a Spider I 100 watt 2x12 in our school and its speakers are extremely bassy. When you turn the volume up you must turn the bass almost all the way down to get it sound half-decent for our school band use. I don't like how it feels when I play through it (it lacks the "presence" of a real amp) and I don't like how everybody goes crazy because of its "Insane" sound. Everybody is like: "It gives da br00tz." And then they EQ it with scooped mids and full bass and treble or something like that and it sounds complete crap. I think the "Insane" sound is insanely bad (and of course their guitars are out of tune). The clean channel of that amp is OK, Recto is decent for our school band use after tweaking the EQ knobs and cutting the bass. So I agree, the speakers are bad.
    Josh100
    Eventually you realise that this amp is really not good in the slighest. If people say this is the best amp they've played on then they must be beginners who have had some no name crapbox as their first amp. Hopefully line 6 realise what they are doing and stop making them because they are terrible. One day you will agree.
    Josh100
    I have to use the 100 watt one of these for my band practices in the local church. I strongly agree with MaggaraMarine. You have to drop the bass in attempt to get a good sound but I find the notes don't seperate because it is just a horrible trebly sound. I try boosting the bass slightly and lowering the treble but find I still have the same sort of problems. The best sound I got was with everything up half way and it was a usable sound.