Spider II 210 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 210

Purchased from: Guitar Works

Right now I am using a crappy Slammer by Hamer (150 dollar guitar), and the sound is still quite decent. I look at how nice the amp sounds with guitar, and I dream about how good the amp will sound with a gibson or Fender. I don't have vast experience playing electric guitar, but to me this amp sounds heavenly. I prefer metal songs, by bands such as AC/DC and Guns N' Roses, for example, and since there are so many different settings to adjust you can have a virtually unlimited number of sounds. There is no feedback unless you are on insane, then you have to use the noisegate and stand further from the amp, but then its ok. The clean sounds good, although it can be a little too bright, you can make adjustments to fix the problem. The distortion is absolutely beautiful. It covers all ends of the spectrum. It can be light and mild, and then incredibly insane as well with the press of a button. It would be nice if there was a little more variety of clean sound, but how much can I ask without a pedal? For what it's worth this amp has grade A sound.

Overall, this is was exactly what I need. If anyone is looking for a versatile, loud, and inexpensive amplifier made by a good company, I totally recommend this amp. It is a bit heavym, but other than that I have no complaints. I bought the amp footswitch ($100 CAN) which gives me complete access to any four channels, and that has helped a lot too, although no one likes to pay an extra 100 bone for a pedal. If it were stolen or lost, I would probably get this amp again, although I would, in all honesty, eventualyl look to upgrading to a Marshall, but that is loooooooong in the future. I personally love the delay, it is probably the best feature. I really cannot complain about this amplifier, because, as I said, it fits a wide variety of sounds and style, and I have a junk for a guitar, so the potential of this amp is bottemless.

This amp has been great so far, as far as durability is conserned. I cannot ever see me blowing one of the 10 inch speakers. The amp weighs a ton, so I can't see it getting beat up too bad. I do wonder how long the led lights will last, and I question how long the amp's wiring will hold up, being so inexpensive and all, my friend has a line6 that is over 10 years old and his amp still plays fine, so I trust mine will last a long time as well.

This amp is absolutely packed with features, more features than you will get in any other amp for the price I paid. It has 12 different amp models (6 main different ones, clean, twang, blues, crunch, metal, and insane, but 2 variations of each). The built-in tuner really comes in handy, and although it takes a bit of time to adjust to, once you I got the hang of it it made my other tuner obsolete. It also has a distortion boost and a noisegate as well as 8 different effects (chorus/flange, reverb, delay, phaser, tremolo, tape echo, and sweep echo), and you can use up to three at a time. I basically play every style of music, but I favour metal, and although the amp suits basically every style quite well, it really sticks out as a great amp for metal. I use this amp in my garage and at practises in auditoriums, and unless I was playing in a huge outdoor show, there will always be more than enough power for me. I have it at level 4 out of 10 and it vibrates the whole house. This sucker can pound. And if I ever did need more power, there is a headphones jack as well.