Spider II 210 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 210

I use a Fender Telecaster, and (more often) an Epiphone SG. The amp suits the SG better, but the tele handles it well, and if you want to have a single coil guitar but miss the fullness of humbuckers sometimes, the amp really boosts the Tele's sounds. Though in small spaces (only with the Telecaster) and high gain sometimes it hums, but I suppose thats what humbuckers were invented for. The Epiphone SG sounds a dream through it, I can dial up easily, creamy cleans, creepy cleans (remiscent of the reverb drenched cure, beautiful blues, and some insane rock tones). The amp holds its own, and even in band practice I've never turned it above 4/5. The distortion (due to thg eamount of models) ranges from ultra fuzz, to classic rock, to sub octave distortion, to high gain sounds in modern rock/metal/emo. The only thing I'd change once again is add a trebly twang jazz setting, as blues and twang can sometimnes be too bassy.

Overall this amp is great, I'm heavily inspired by my Chemical Romance, Afi, Cursive, The Cure, Metallica, Bowie, Bright Eyes, Blink, Senses Fail, Azure Ray etc. and this amp caters to all my needs. The only problem as mentioned is, if you want an nme flick wrist staccato bar chord tone thats quite trebly and jazzy, it can be quite an arduos process dialing in the perfect tone, as it can be slightly bassy on those less distorted models, i.e. blues. I get the impression on those models that it is all or nothing, in the case of distortion or bass there's no mid point, as such. But its nothing a graphic equaliser pedal cant solve, which is a must for all guitars in my opinion. The amp, I suppose, is a metal amp, and made for rock, insane is my favourite model, its taken me 6 months to get the perfect tone, so if at first your not sure give it a chance, with the amount of features on this amp, you'll eventually get what you want.

The amp is built like a tank, and has been fine, I would gig without hestitation with it. It's only problems are a source of my neglect, first the kettle lead (power supply) slot at the back is occasionally loose (but cause no problems) and the guitar input has fallen off about 3 times in two years, becaus ei haven't ensured its tight, meaning I've had to take it apart and refit the mechanism. But seriously it is very sturdy and other than my neglect it's had no problems, I've had this amp two years and my friends marshalls and fenders have al broken down and needed seriuos repairs on several occasions in this time, despite theirs being newer than the Line 6.

The moment you turn on this amp, you will be amazed. After the on switch is pressed you're greeted with a light display reminiscent of Disney world! This amp in my band has been given the nickname of "the amp spok would've used." It has 4 channels which you save your tones to, which is great because no matter how badly the nobs get dispositioned during transport, your perfect tone sounds the same. The amp unlike marshalls, doesn't run on simple treble, mid, and bass. On top of these you must first choose the designated amp models, ranging from clean (standard clean), to twang (similar to country sounding Fenders), to blues (self explanitory), crunch (for that Led Zepplin, classic rock vibe), metal, and insane (the hihgest gain). Each one of these models have two settings, for example, the metal has a Mesa Boogie feel on one mode, but on the other mode it has a unique "mid" switch which turns it into fuzz guitar. On top of these it also has the mandatory "reverb" and 6 digital effects, which are top quality. The effects are flange/chorus, phaser, tremelo, delay, sweep echo, tape echo. All very useable. It would be perfect, except I would've personally like to see a more jazz setting.