Spider II 212 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Line 6: Spider II 212

Purchased from: GAK (www.gak.co.uk)

I own an Epiphone SG Custom and SG Jr, but I've tried tonnes of different guitars with this amp (ranging from Fender Strats to Gibson Les Pauls). I play rock, alternative, some metal, everything really and this amp suits nothing but metal. That may sound extreme but it's impossible to get a nice tone out of this amp without spending 100's of pounds on effects pedals. The distortion on thsi amp quite litterally can be insane. If your a metal head this amp is for you I guess but don't expect to playing Californication. Tears In Heaven anything that isn't death metal on this amp (I guess I'm exaggerating a bit but I'm not lying.) Clean channel sounds digital and fake.

I guess overall this amp just isn't for me. Anyone considering buying it I'd advice you to save up and buy a hybrid or Tube amp, well worth thsoe extra "bucks". Don't be drawn to this amps high wattage. There's more to it than just how loud you are. I compared this amp to a Marshall MG100DFX, Behringer GMX 212, Peavy Transformer 212 and a few others, and sadly I chose the Spider. Don't just try this amp out for like an hour. Keep going back for like a week and waste shop assistants time trying this amp out. You'll learn it's not bad at first but probably not for you. If this amp were lost no wait I wouldn't be able to lose thsi peice of crap if I tried. If this amp were stolen, I'd thank the thief for clearing some space out in my bedroom I'm serious here, my crappy practice amp is more tonefull than this poor quality, high wattage amp. But in conclusion, if you like Slipknot, dig Killswtich Engage and enjoy the noise made by Disturbed, go for it. And another note, you'll need to splash out 80 quid on a 4 button footswitch as only a crappy 2 button one is supplied, getting from first channel to 3rd in the middle of a gig? Good luck and the Shortboard from Line 6,200 Quid? I think not.

Pretty dependable I guess shame it's a poor amp.

212 amp models that deliver a complete range from clean to insane. 7 smart control effects (up to 3 simultaneous) including tape echo, standard delay, sweep echo (all w/tap tempo), chorus/flanger, phaser, tremolo and reverb. 4 user-programmable channels, built-in front panel tuner, enough power to kill pesky chupacabras and evil payasos." I wish this amp actually kicked out a nice tone rather than just a high wattage. More than enough power for anyone (150watts Solid State = Loud) but like I said sucky tone who wants to hear a lame tone at high volumes? 2 Speaker outs L + R (make that bad tone even louder?)