Spider II 212 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Line 6: Spider II 212

Purchased from: Soundslive

I use Seymour Dunan pickups mainly (distortion humbucker in my Ibanez RG, invader in my DeLonge Strat and an invader in a Pacifica that I'm kitting up) and I don't think the Line 6 does them any justice, I've tried all sorts of guitars through this and I don't think this amp has great sound basically. The amp in general just sounds very artificial. I'm not the greatest guitarist in the world by any means, nor am I techinally knowledgeable but I know what sound I like and this was not it. I persevered for about 8 months then upgraded to a Marshall mode 4.

I play mainly punk or metal. I love experimenting however, blues or classic rock mostly, which is why I bought the amp, being under the impression that it was every amp in the world packed into one little thingy. This may be true to an extent, but I'm much happier with my mode 4 knowing that although I can't really experiment hugely with the sounds, the sound I'm using is nice and not totally artificial.

I would definately have used this amp without a backup if I had liked the sound! Basically giging with my band it was fantastically hard wearing, stuffed in the back of my little vauxhall astra amongst god knows what else, dropped a good few times, kicked over in one of those fake rockstar moments or just general misuse, this amp never gave up!

There's absolutely no arguing that the Spider II is a very versatile piece of kit, I bought it mainly for gigs as it's one loud mother and would give me a great range of sounds that I could choose from. On a less technical level however, the amp wasn't too big, the weight was well distributed and all in all it was a pretty solid amp.