Spider II 212 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 212

Purchased from: Derringers

I use some sort of monterey electric with humbuckers. I play a lot of heavy music, which it is suited for. But if you're playing a clean song with a solo that demands some serious compression you can end up having a few non-existent notes. It's loud enough to drown out my brother's trumpet as well as use in front of an audience. It has clean all the way to mega-distort but at full volume you don't lose any clarity. The distortion is insane, but again you can struggle with solos.

A brilliant amp, with all the effects a novice or even pro needs. I've been playing for 4 years now and I can't complain. I have a friend who has a $1000 footpedal and $700 speaker and guess what? He found nearly all the settings were on this amp. I love the distorion after using an RP80 (DigiTech) for over a year. The compression can be a problem but it doesn't worry me that much. If it were to break I would get a bigger version of it for a little more power to really get some volume!

I have had it for about 6 months and haven't seen it breakdown yet. None of the seemingly-fragile components have broken yet, despite my ignorance to clean it properly. I have backup speakers, but am yet to use them.

This is an amazing little amp. I have the most-updated version, a 2005 model. You have 4 places to store your own sound inventions and you can make more with the right shortboard. There are a few different effects you can put on it but the only one I use is the tremolo. It can be used on stage or in practice. The tuner in it is also ideal for a beginner. Some more useful effects such as compression boost for solos would be nice though.