Spider II 212 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 212

I use it with an ESP F-50 Guitar with stock ESP humbuckers, and it has an amazing tone. I usually play punk, metal, blues, and sometimes classic rock, and the Spider II suits all of the styles of music that I like to play. It can make the most crisp and clean tone all the way up to the the most crazy of the distorted tones, and it has the most tonal variety of any amp I have ever played. My amp can get noisy if I try to play open chords on the heavy distortion settings. The clean channel only gets distorted if you turn the distortion boost on and turn up the drive half way, but it stays clean even if I turn the volume up to 11. (At this point I get a visit from the cops). The distortion can go from a lightly driven clean all the way up to the ear splitting growl of the insane Drive, so it be very brutal if you make it, and it all depends on the tone controls as well. I don't use the distortion mods that often anymore because I got a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal so I can switch the distortion on and off while playing, but if I want to play something with a ton of distortion I will turn on the Insane-Green LED.

My amp is a perfect match for any guitarist (beginning or pro), and it is great for all playing styles. I have been playing for 4 years now, and I have had my Line 6 for about a year and 4 months and in that time I haven't had a single problem out of it. I have an ESP F-50 electric guitar, A Squire acoustic, and a Washburn Lyon bass. I have also had 2 Fender Frontman 15G amps, and a Peavey Transtube-Rage158 amp (all of which blew pretty quickly). If someone stole my amp first of all I would try to hunt them down and make them expeariance a little pain, but if I couldn't get it back I would get a Line 6 Spider Valve half stack because they discontinued my amp about a month before I bought it. I love everything about it and would never sell it I have no favorite feature on it because I love everything on it the same. There is nothing I could hate about this amp because it is so perfect. Before I bought it I was looking at a Marshall MG250DFX Stereo Combo Amp, a Crate XT120R 120W, and a Vox Valvetronix AD100VT 100w 2x12 Guitar Combo Amp. I chose the Line 6 because I liked the sound, and because it was a lot easier to use than the other amps. The only thing I wish that I had gotten along with this amp is the Line 6 FBV Shortboard so I could change my effects, and amp channels with my feet.

This amp is very dependable, and durable too. I have had it since December 22, 2006, and I have never had one problem out of it. I would definatly use it at a gig without backup. If this amp ever blows, I will still use Line 6 (My next amp will be a Line 6 Spider Valve half stack).

I don't know the year the Line 6 Spider II was made, but I know it was discontinued in December 2006 because Line 6 made the Spider III, so I got at a discount from Guitar Center. This amp is extremely versitile and can be used for any playing style you can think of, I use it to play punk, metal, and blues styles. This amp is a solid state modeling amp and has 12 channels: 2 clean channels, 2 twang channels, 2 blues channels, 2 crunch channels, 2 metal channels, and 2 insane channels. It has a drive control, 3 tone controls, and a channel volume control. Another feture it has is 4 programable channels. It also has 7 onboard effects: chorus/flange, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo, and reverb. The Spider II also has a built-in standard tuner, a distortion boost, and a noise gate feature. It has every feature that I want, and I use or have used every feature on on it at one point. I use this amp for everything from practice by myself to practice with my band members, even live shows, and it has more than enough power for me, but I still wish that when I bought it I had enough money to buy a Spider II half stack.

corrda00
    My friend has one of these with a peavy vortex. It rocks. If it can make rob sound good it can do anything.
    richard_edwards
    sfsknight07 wrote: this amp is amazing for metal! ive had it for almost a year now and im in love with it. it is decent with cleans and slight distortion, depending on what guitar you run through it. the only problem i had was with the noise gate. it didnt do shit, so i just went out and bought one. my setup now consists of one pedal...I LOVE THIS AMP
    amazing for metal! and not much else! i have this amp. waste of time. all the blues setting is is the metal setting with the gain turned down. yeah, like hell is it based on a fender blackface. line 6 havent really tried with this amp.