Spider II 212 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 212

Purchased from: A friend

I use my Line 6 Spider II 212 amp with a Telecaster that contains Seymour Duncan pickups. Because of the wood of my guitar and the pickup setup, my distortion tended to come up a little flat and lacking bass. This is not to say that it is the fault of the amp though; I got a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster Pedal to get that low end distortion. I have used other guitars made of basswood and similar heavy woods and the low end is always outstanding with this amp. This amp is seemingly intended for a metalist; there is a dedicated 'Metal' preset and the 'Insane' preset, on green mode (each preset has two modes, indicated with a red or green LED), provides the maximum distortion (and volume) obtainable by the amp. Playing metal and similar styles myself, this amp is perfect. When the bass and treble are all the way up and the mid is low or all the way down it is easy to obtain a harsh metal sound like that of The Devil Wears Prada, for example. This amp is not noisy at all, unless you want it to be. There is a built in Noise Gate feature which cancels out background sound, but if feedback is a part of a song, you can choose to turn it off. THIS AMP IS LOUD. It's probably the only combo amp in it's price range that can come anywhere close to the volume of a good half stack. I've used it at multiple gigs and I don't think I've even needed to turn the volume up much past halfway. Of course, due to the ability to combine two pedal effects (one from each of the effects knobs), there are a huge amount of sounds that this amp can make. From a clean spacious chorus to a super distorted chug, it's good for just about anything. The distortion is as heavy as it gets, and the bass from chugs can make a room shake, or a crowd move. My ONLY complaint with this amp is the sound from the clean channels. It may just be my inability to develop a good sound, but to me the clean channel presets just don't sound very warm, except for the Twang preset. I also use two pedals in addition to the footswitch for the four channels, and when I'm playing chords loudly on my guitar while clean, it seems like one of them causes them to kind of crackle on the amp. This is just a warning, watch out for that if using other effects pedals.

Personally, I play metal, post-hardcore, and similar genres. This amp is definitely a perfect match for these kinds of music, but I'm sure it would work just as well for several other genres. I've been playing for about three years now, and have owned the amp for one. While I have a Telecaster (which delivers GREAT high end sound on this amp by the way), I think that something with EMG, Seymour Duncan, or similar humbuckers is the ideal match for this amp. If this amp was ever stolen or lost (it's a bit tough to lose), I would definitely consider buying the same amp or at least a similar Line 6 combo due to their dependability. I love the variety of sounds and the volume capabilities of the Spider II 212 combo, and really my only issue was with the sound of the clean channel. When compared to a friend's Marshall, I think that the sound (and volume, as always) blew it away. For a combo amp, I think this is about as good as they get.

This is where the 212 shines even more; this amp is SOLID. I've used it at multiple gigs with no back up. There's just no need, unless you manage to drop it in a puddle and soak it. While it is a bit heavy, the amp just feels sturdy and I never worry about scratching it up. Also, in the year that I've had it, it has NEVER broken down or had any problems what'soever.

This is a very versatile amp; it is good for most genres of music. It has three clean channel presets, Clean, Twang, and Blues, and three distortion channel presets, Crunch, Metal, and Insane. For each of these channels there are two modes, indicated by either a red or green LED next to the preset selection. Each of the modes has a different preset, so all in all there are twelve presets. After tampering with the original presets to develop your own sounds, you can save up to four of your own sounds to the amp; your saved channels are labeled A, B, C, and D. Used in conjunction with an FBV Express foot pedal (which I use) or one of the many similar compatible pedals from Line 6, it is very easy to change channels mid-song. On top of the multiple available presets and the usual Treble, Bass, Mid, and Gain knobs, there are tons of effects built in. These include Chorus Flange, Phaser, Tremolo, Delay, Tape Echo, Sweep Echo, and Reverb. With this amp you can change the intensity of each effect, and for the Delay, Tape Echo and Sweep Echo effects you can change the tempo of the effect so that it will follow the rhythm of your music. This is a very convenient control, especially with a foot pedal. There is also a headphone jack and there are outputs for each speaker on the back. It is a solid state amp which has two 12" Celestion custom speakers and runs at 150W.

muddskipper2k
    I love this aMP! I BOUGHT IT ON CREIGS LIST FOR $35.00. AND IT KIK'S!!! I AM LOOKING FOR THE INSTRUCTOIN BOOK to learn how to use it so I can play and praqctise better. I think the AMP Is the nut's! I am playing a player noisles pickup Fender strat and it sound the best. I have a LesPaul w/hummbuckers but havn't used it yet. I love playing my Strat. But need instruction for my AMP = can anyone help me? KingLinger
    snaggleyoda
    Picked up one for $25 off Craigslist. I combine it with my my flextone 2 with a Morley ABC switch & can play just about anything back & forth between the two.
    thechum
    I have one of these and I actually think its a fairly descent amp, especially for someone just starting out. But then again I have never played a high quality tube amp like a engl or something. Im comparing it to a randall rg100es that i own, which I definitely prefer my randall, but I still think the line 6 is a pretty good amp.