Spider II 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 30

Purchased from: Soundpad (Independent Local Retailer)

The sound ranges from good to briliant. Whilst I find the clean tones to be lacking, it more than makes up for this in the distortion department, which would, I suspect, be the main reason for someone to choose this particular piece of equipment. The guitar I use with this amp is a lowly Squier Strat, and whilst some may see that as an unworthy measuring tool, there is a noticeable difference between this and my old amp, which was bundled in with the guitar when I first started playing. The sound is a lot fuller, and there is much variety in the sounds you can produce. Almost everything can be customised and perfected, and that makes this the perfect amp for sitting at home and playing aroung with, or maybe for those who play or jam in small bands. And to cover the final bullet point listed on this form, the distortion is more brutal than a truckload of hungry dinosaurs.

The amp is perfect for those who enjoy most types of music. Those who enjoy softer, more controlled music may want to look elsewhere, but for the rest of us, this is an absolute beast. I would definitely buy it again if I were to suffer the misofrtune of having it stolen. No question about it. For me, this is the perfect amp. I love everything about the sound quality, look, special effects and various channels. The only problem for me is the lack of quality on the clean setting, but this is only a minor gripe, as I have an acoustic guitar should I wish to play anything quieter. But for the most part, you can get great things from this. Great things indeed.

Having only had the amp for a matter of months, it's difficult to comment on reliability and durability. However, all I can do is comment that I have had no problems with it whatsoever, and I would happily use it at a small gig.

The Spider II range is brand new, and so consequently you'd expect nothing but the best in both special effects and overall performance. It's an amp very much designed to be played loud, with as much distortion as possible (to give you an idea, both Ben Moody and Mick Thomson state their love for the amp on the Line 6 website). There are 4 channels, each with preset sounds which can be customised. The clean setting is not the best I've ever heard by any means, but still manages to do the job without any real trouble. The crunch setting is very impressive indeed, giving you the perfect sound of a '68 Marshall, and bridging the gap very nice between clean and distorted. The metal setting offers some distortion, and provides excellent tone for songs like Metallica's "Enter Sandman". However, the insane setting is where the Spider II really raises the bar. The amp is great for anyone who likes to play anything from Avenged Sevenfold to The Offspring, although by defintion this would render it seemingly useless to an Oasis fan. The built in features are commendable, if it a little awkward. For example, the tremolo effect that breaks in Green Day's "Boulevard Of Broken Dreams" is easily replicable, but the transition between effects would be an impossible task on stage or without the help of a fast-fingered friend. That said, the problem could be solved by using an effects pedal (of course, this menaing you'd be using the effects on the pedal rather than the amp). Overall, a very good range of features with relation to what I personally enjoy playing on it, but one with a very specific target audience. If you want distortion, this is the amp for you.