Spider II 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 30

Purchased from: Bansbach

I'm using it with an ESP EX-50, that has Grover humbucker pickups, sounds great. It suits my style, metal, mostly In Flames, Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, and Metallica. It's real noisy, especially the Insane mode. The amp makes sounds that range from heavy, distorted sounds, to light, high sounds. It has huge variety of sounds, with billions of combinations. The distortion is great in metal, but Insane is a little intense.

I've been playing for about 3 years, and I own a Wasburn Bad Dog amp, Washburn WRD112, Boss MD-2, and an ESP EX-50. If it were stolen I would definitely buy a new one. My favorite feature is the chorus/flange, that is awesome. I cmopared it to a smaller, Randall amp, but I didn't like it as much, and it had less features. This Spider II 30 amp also has 2 special hidden functions: disable auto, preset FX: turn the amp on with the Insane button held. Reset programmable channels to factory settings: turn the amp on with the clean button held.

I just bought this amp, so I'm not sure about it's durability. It definitely looks reliable. I would use it in a gig without a backup. It's never broken down on me and always sounds great.

The amp was made in 2005 and is great. I play metal, mostly In Flames, Arch Enemy, Children Of Bodom, and Metallica. It even has a preset for Master Of Puppets. It has 4 channels: clean (just the normal sound), crunch (slightly distorted sound), metal (great metal, distorted sound), Insane (Line 6 signature sound, heavy distortion). They are chosen by buttons that light up when pressed. It also has 6 Smart FX: chorus/flanger, tremolo, phaser on 1 knob, and sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb on the other. These have intensity control on them. The tape echo has a tap delay time, chosen by a button above the Smart FX knobs. It has a drive, bass, mid, treble, channel volume and a master volume knob. It has a headphone jack, and a CD/mp3 In. The headphone jack also works as a recording out. 2 footswitch models work with it: FBV2 and FBV4. It has a 12" 30 watt celestion. Right now I'm using it in my house, and it definitely has the power for it, might have the power for gigs. The tap Delay time button has 2 extra features: distorion boost - press and hold the tap delay time button and turn the drive knob past 12 o'clock and you get a more distorted sound (pre-amp distortion). Noise gate - press and hold the tap delay time button while you turn the echo/reverb knob past twelve o'clock and you get a noise gate, which is pretty much what it sounds like, a gate that cuts all the screeching, hissing noises, you usually get with heavily distorted effects.