Spider II 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 30

Purchased from: Sam Goody

I am using either a Fender Stratocaster with Bill Lawrence pickups, or a Schecter Gryphon with Duncan Designed Humbuckers with this amp. I went on the website, and they had a lot of tones that you can use to sound like different artists. I can use this amp for anywhere from classic rock to metal, and those are my two styles of playing, so its pretty good for me. The clean channel isnt too great though. It still has a little bit of gain on it, but its not too bad unless you have the amp up really loud. Although it is a little digital, I like the distortion on it. I mainly use the insane channel with the tone for Crazy Train by Ozzy (got the tone off the website).

I mainly play classic rock, and metal, and I like this amp for both. I've been playing for about a year and a half now, and my only other amp is a Wurlitzer amp. I have never seen another wurlitzer amp, and it is very old, so this sounds a little better than that one does. I got this as a gift for Christmas, but I played it in stores before I got it, and I liked it and thought that it was good for the price. If it was stolen or lost, I would probably save up $200 more and get a Kustom 100 watt amp. Overall, it is a pretty good amp with decent sound, and is made pretty well.

I've carried this thing from room to room, in my car, and I would probably gig with it. So far, the amp has held up well for me, but I have only had it for a few weeks. I expect it to not be the greatest in durability, but so far, with me hitting it against walls, banging it onto tables, bumps on the road, it has held up without a single dent.

This amp is fairly new. This amp is a solid state 30 watt. It is pretty versatile, because of all the different types of channels and built in effects. It has four presets that you can customize, and 8 effects. You can use 2 of these effects at a time. The distortion is okay for the price, but it can sound a little digital at times. Also, I tried using my DigiTech RP50 with it, and it didnt sound that great, so I'm sticking with the amps effects. I am mainly using this as a practice amp in my room right now, and I don't have to turn it up past 25% of its power. It is acctually suprisingly loud for 30 watts.