Spider II 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 30

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

Currently I'm using a BC Rich Warlock with the standard BDSM humbucker pickups (which arn't that bad actually). The guitar has a nice deep tone to it and goes quite well with this amp. The 'insane' distortion setting is a really heavy distortion and you can change the built-in setting to whatever suits you. But I dont have the distortion knob turned all the way up because it just doesn't sound nice, so have it in between half way and 3 quarter way for a nice distortion sound. The amp suits my music style great, I play a lot of Iced Earth and it's really heavy and sounds good when muting on 'insane'. The amp is silent, which is great. But I have noticed it makes a little noise when on the 'metal' setting but I don't use that really no I'm not bothered. The clean channel is not distorted at high volumes or if it is turn the distortion down. It is only distorted a small amount if your playing power chords and hitting the strings hard. I then thought with turning the distortion down, it was too bassy, but that was just me. The distortion is very extreme, but can lack tone at high volumes, but I'm not sure whether thats just because I'm standing right next to it.

Overall the amp is a decent match for my music. I have been playing nearly 2 years now, havent owned that much equipment but I know whats good and whats bad. If it were stolen I think I would search for a better amp or give some other practice amps a go (such as peaveys). The thing I love about this amp is the distortion, it's nice, powerful and not too bassy. The thing I hate is when changing channels with the footswitch. It is the fact that it does not change instantly so you have to press it some milliseconds before, which is annoying. My favorite feature is the echos, I use it on every channel because personally I think it gives it more feeling to the music you are playing.

The amp is built like a tank, I would definately gig without a backup. The amp has never let me down and I'm sure it won't ever.

This amp is a 2005 model. The amp is pretty versatile for my style of music which is mainly heavy metal. The amp has 4 channels which are clean, crunch, metal and insane, these settings can be used for nearly all types of music I suppose. You can switch between channels but if you dont want to keep pressing the button on the amp to change the channel you will need to buy either an FBV 2 or FBV 4 pedal so that you can change without your playing being interupted. The amp does have a headphone jack, but personally I don't think it sounds as good with them in. I never use tremolo even though its still a pretty cool effect, it can get quite annoying. I think a better effect could have took its place. I use this amp just as a practice amp at home, although I have gigged with it. The amp has a lot of power and putting the volume a quarter way is more than enough for me while practising. The amp is not a tube but still has a good sound.

Seymore190
    Yeah, I don't agree with any of the reviews thus far. I've played this (and other Spider IIs) several times and they are really not great amps. Playing through a Line 6 amp feels like having your musical expression balls cut off. Seriously, it is not possible to get any sort of warm or halfway decent sound out of your guitar when you are virtually playing through a computer. And just because you own the amp doesn't mean you have to treat it like a beloved child. You are allowed to rip on your own equipment if it blows.
    Canuck_22
    ya i bought one about a year ago. at first i thought it was great; but now i realize how bad it realy is.
    matx33
    ChickenStu : I would have to agree with the last guy. Use reviews as a basis for your own judgement...dont live by them.
    Great one man. It's really true. Go with what you like. Personally, I've only played the Spider II 112 and I loved it. It's all in what you want.
    Ac/dc_Zeppelin
    This Is A Wicked Amp, you should all go out and buy it right away, plus its only about $220 canadian
    otherkid
    i play on this amp a lot and love it the 4 distortion levels rock and i can get great sound out of it i play more with the metal and insane more then crunch and clean but thats just me
    mystman_tim
    whoa i think you guys paid a bit much, i got my spider II 112 for for about $325(CAN) and the sounds so much cleaner when u go loud than it is on the spider II 30s. the noise gate is awesome, goes dead silent when u stop playing but only down side to this amp is..being a transistor amp...its hard to get feedback when you want it
    mystman_tim
    Seymore190 wrote: Seriously, it is not possible to get any sort of warm or halfway decent sound out of your guitar
    yea the amp pretty much sucks for clean tones, doesnt have too much of a pop to it. but the distortion kicks ass. it depends on what style you play. you just have to get the settings right. the rare times i want a clean tone, i jus run the line thru my old marshall 30 watt kinda like a preamp and even that just that adds enough warmth and compressions for me. also, i dont know about the II 30, its onlt 30 watts and $300, but the II 112 is more than u could ask for in 75watt amp for just $300. its also wayy more reliable than tube amps.