Spider II 30 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 3.8 Poor
Line 6: Spider II 30

Purchased from: Used

I bought this amp because of all the great reviews it got. My other amp, however has mediocre reviews - a Marshall Valvestate VS265. The valvestate blows this thing out of the water as far as sound goes. I would be embarrassed to play this Live. The sound is tinny and contrived. Highly digital distortion and effects make the sound very flat and hollow. I use it mainly with my RG-220 and SG-Supreme. The RG has the stock (Ibanez) HB's and the SG has Gibson's '61 Classic HBs. I do have a Squire Tele that I also play on it. Like I said, it can make just about any sound, it just can't make it good.

I play mostly rock, all kinds of it. If this thing were stolen, I would make do with my DigiTech RP-250 as a practice "amp", or maybe buy something else. I really do like the versatility of it and will continue to use it, but only because I got it so cheap. If I had paid more than 60 bucks, I'd been disappointed.

It seems like a dependable, durable amp, I bought it used, and it still looks great, btw it is a great looking amp. I will continue to trust this amp to be my practice amp, but it will never leave the house. This is not a gig-worthy amp, so it is pretty light. I would have to imagine that if thrown into the back of a truck on a regular basis, it would not last long.

Made in China, not sure of the year. The amp has way to many features for it's own good. 4 channels, B-M-T tone controls, Drive, Vol, and Master. It has 6 digital effects on two knobs that are ridiculously difficult to control. There is a tap button for the delay effects: this helps a making adjustments a little easier. It has headphone jack and even a line-in jack which is very cool. It can make a very wide range of sounds, but don't expect an ounce of tone out of this thing. I never knew what 'flat' was until I heard the tone from this. I use it exclusively with headphones in the living room, while the kids are asleep. The only reason I keep this is because of the line-in jack and the variety of sound. You could play any type of music through this, but why would you want to.