Spider II 30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II 30

I use this with an American Fender Stratocaster, and it actually works pretty well. The clean channel with some reverb sounds fantastic on the neck/middle pickup. The crunch channel is probably my favorite. It gets a great light blues sound to it, and that's what I play with about 80% of the time. The only complaint is that it gets pretty noisy with the Drive all the way up, and it gets too dirty and distorted. I've never really liked the metal setting. It's very thick and sort of nasty, and only sounds okay with big power chords. It doesn't sound very good hitting any single strings on solos or anything. Insane is a great channel as well. I think the insane on this Spider II sounds better than any Line 6 amp I've played. It gets a thin distortion without losing tone, and the harmonics sound so vibrant. As for power? For being as small as it is, it can wail pretty well. I haven't had to really "settle" when using it at shows, but it can get that, and it's a perfect bedroom/practice amp for the home.

This is a great great great beginner amp. I've had it for for years and dabbled with a lot of different styles, and it has accommodated all of them. If you have a Line 6 FBV pedal you can change channels while playing which makes it an amp you can use at gigs. It's about time for me to graduate to a tube amp, but I have very much enjoyed playing this. I don't know if there's a more versatile and durable amp out there for the price of this.

This amp is EXTREMELY durable. I've had it for four years and it hasn't had any problems whatsoever. I play in the band at my church as well as a few other musical projects, so this has been gigged quite a bit. It doesn't scratch easily, so the exterior is still very much intact.

I bought this right before the Spider III came out, so it's the latest that they made. The amp comes with four diverse channels (clean, crunch, metal, insane). It also has six built in effects (chorus/flanger, phaser, tremelo, sweep echo, tap echo, reverb). For the chorus/flanger and phaser, they are somewhat adjustable, so you can change speed and make it sound pretty cool. The tremelo is worthless, because you can't adjust the speed, just depth, and I find it to be too fast. The tap echo is what I use the most just to give the guitar a fuller sound, but reverb works pretty well too. For being a small digital amp, it has some pretty good power, and you can definitely get by at a show if you are miked up.