Spider II Half Stack review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II Half Stack

I'm using a Schecter Diamond series with EMGs and it sounds really heavy. The pinch harmonics get pulled out so easy its ridiculous. I usually turn it up very loud and get great sound. The noise gate really helps keep the static down. You really have to push the head before you hear and breakup in sound. It keeps up with any tube head I've played with.

Overall, awesome deal. Can't beat the price. It really pushes 150 watts well. As far as metal music goes its one of the best amps out there. Mesa rectifiers are probably better live amps but unless you have a few G's to throw around I would go with the Spider II. I'm using a Behringer 400w Cab and it easily handles the heads 150 watts. I can't believe there is a head out there that sounds this good for the price. I would buy this again in a sec. Other guitarist I've played with have traded in their stacks for my setup.

Havent had it too long, giged it a few times, no probs. Have heard stories of blowups 'cause of the cab being in non stereo mode.

The Spider II head has a ton of power, period. I personally play a lot of hard rock/metal and use alot of drop tunings. The basic clean could be better, but I add a little delay and chorus it sounds badass for what I'm going for. I usually use the metal settings for all my distortion. It mimics the Mesa rectifier and I couldn't ask for anything heavier. I've never had a head that I haven't needed a distortion pedal for but the Spider II metal and insane settings really push it to the next level. My only complaint would be that the delay/tremlo/etc settings can't be individually adjusted.