Spider II Half Stack review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II Half Stack

The clean models are okay. I add the tiniest amount of delay, with the tap set fast. Sometimes I put a little reverb. It helps to improve it a little. I occasionally use the Crunch amp models for classic rock. It's not too bad. Again, I always turn the delay a little. I use Green Metal channel the most, the distortion is really heavy and it comes in handy for the heavier music we cover, like GN'R, STP, Velvet Revolver. It sounds good (for a solid state), but it doesn't have tube sound. I knew that when I bought it, but I did it anyway. Now I kind of wish I got the combo instead of the half stack. I notice it's a little sensitive with pick noise when palm muting a little soft, unless I strum hard.

Our band plays classic rock, and metal. There isn't much problem with metal, but I always associate classic rock with tube sound. That being said, it comes as close to the sound I need as a solid state can. I've been playing guitar for 14 years, and owned 2 tube amps, and a bunch of solid state amps. For solid state, I like this one the best. Personally, I recommend the combo!

I probably would use it for gigging, that is, if I keep it. I'm getting a Fender Hot Rod Deville soon, and may or may not keep this amp. I've only used it for home practice, and haven't turned it past 4 for long. It's loud, and seems to be built tough, but now I don't wish to be lugging this beast up the stairs to reheasals, or gigs.

Solid state, 150 watts (75x2), 4 programmable channels, flanger, phaser, tremolo, delay, tape echo, sweep echo, digital amp modelling, 12 amp models from Clean to Insane distortion. I use the flanger and delay on clean for the Cult songs we cover. It's awesome! I don't care for the tremolo, and don't really have a need for the phaser. I like having all the onboard effects.

King ofKumbucha
    Shizzster wrote: This thing sounds unstopable, im looking to upgrade my MG 50 to a half stack, so far its between a Peavey Valve King and this thing. What do you guys think is better?
    Peavey by FAR.
    stafford5150
    k1ng_pooh wrote: go buy a marshall, spiders make me sick
    thank you, i agree definatly, i mean they are great if you are a bit strapped for cash or want a really heavy tone but i dont like them, i gigged my m8's one and it sounded horrible i had to change amp after 2 songs.
    Corsair1
    has anyone tried the noise gate or the distrtion boost? it's sick!! oh and if you're looking for a good pedal, get a used FBV4 on ebay. the pedal does it's job quite well, but it's discontinued.