Spider II HD75 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider II HD75

Purchased from: Uptown Music

I plug into this baby a custom built Fender Stratocaster though a DigiTech RPx400 (which is use to add more FX). If you are looking into getting a wide range of sounds, this amp is for you. It can play any song well, from Where The Streets Have No Name by U2, to Welcome Home by Coheed And Cambria, you can get a near identicle sound to almost any song. I play it though a Marshall 120w cab, and that makes it sound even better. This amp can easily keep up with my friend's 800w Ampeg, if that gives you an idea on how loud it can go. At high volumes, there is some feedback, but just from the pickups on my guitar. The clean channel stays clean even up to volume 11 (there actually is 11 volume dots). The distortion on this amp is sick, you can get a muddy tone on the metal setting, or you can reach unbelivable hights of distortion madness on "insane" and still retain your valuable tone.

I play anything I can get my grubby hands on, and I've been playing for nearly 2 years, but I didn't start getting serious until a year ago. The only thing I can compare this to is a Peavy 15w practice amp, which did not treat me well. I wish I had a footswitch for it, which costs about $99. If this was stolen, I'd start a riot and break into a music store and steal one. Or just save up $200 to buy it again.

I would use this at a gig, hands down. It certainly is loud enough, and as hard as a rock. The only problem would be the channel buttons, which sometimes seem to "stick" but only if you press it from an angle, but that is easily fixed by a footswitch. I've had this amp for only a few months, but I have heard nothing but good about this amp. This stuff should last for years to come.

This amp was made in 2005 and it suits me very well. It's a solid state 75w amp with 4 channels: clean, crunch, metal, and insane. Built in FX: reverb, tape delay (aka analog), chourus/flanger, sweep echo, phaser, and tremelo. It's one of the few amps out there that you wouldn't need any effects pedals with, because most of them are built in. I doesn't come with a footswitch, which did not please me, but for only 200 bucks, it's the best you can get. My only complaints would be the lack of a footswitch, and that you can only have 2 effects on at a time (both are easily fixed).

ttbird
    sockmunkeprofit wrote: if you think you know sound, try listening to yourself. your full of shit and bile spews from your mouth and your opinions are below you, you megalowmaniac. cubedeathkk and people like him is the exact reason why we could never evolve as a race. besides I never tried the amp so I don't know.
    fnoof wrote: Everybody talking shit about this amplifier...is absolutely justified in doing so. I own this head, and despite numerous peeps warning me that it was shit, I made the mistake of buying this POS head. The tone falls into crunch if you strum hard in the clean channel (no, this isnt due to high output pickups) The crunch and metal channels have little if any midrange and sound dead. The insane channel is fuzzy as shit and produces lots of unwanted feedback even with the noisegate activated. If you want a decent, reasonably priced amp, buy a peavey windsor head or valveking.
    All of this is true, I got it as a loner from daddys junky Music IT SUCKS
    rvlationmachine
    this head is the best sounding amp i have ever played through.having played through many mesas i can honestly say that they are way overhyped,no where near enough gain for anything,and are very muddy sounding.
    IStrangleBoston
    i got a spider II for my band I Strangle Boston i have the 210 combo and instantly i had a problem this amp as sooooo good it overpowered our crate stack and soudned a billion times better u can go as loud as u want and nooo feedback on metal and no bad noise at all period my problem was i couldnt get our other amp to sound newhere near as good as this amp so i have to buy another spider xD well worth the money BUY THIS AMP!
    Guitarmanmatt
    mattmcavoy400 wrote: Is this better than the marshall mg100hdfx
    marshall 100hdfx sucks balls, ive played through it and hate it
    fnoof
    Clyde-Rain
    Why do some people talk so much shit about this head? Is it just because it isn't an Engl or Peavey? I gotta say, i buy rather an amp like this for less money than e ****in' engl savage 120 for more money, with sounds I'm never gonna use.
    A Musician
    this is a great headive played for more than 5 years and for the money its the best out there
    sl1solo762
    yeah u jerks anyhow, i use one of theese for a backup to my VHT deliverance head, and i cant say that the line6 can compete with the VHT obviously, because what you get is what you pay for. It IS going too far if your gonna say its the best amp out there, but your just fine saying its the best bang for the buck.. got mine for 170 at guitar center... And to whoever says the flanger stays on probably forgot that all 4 channels save thier own settings, including effects, you can turn em off.
    Dude...
    Most ppl who post comments are following the its a spider II it sucks trend.. I played one of this and liked the tone i got out of it...rather complicated for a beginner but, i've played quite a few amps and I thought this was pretty nice. Not the best but not the worst by far. =)
    nickwarhead
    Its not that bad..I can think of alot of amps worse then this one..One of the guitar players of the band Wednsday 13 uses the 150 watt head on tour..The other guitarist of my band has one of these and it can hold its own against my Marshall JCM 900. Like any solid state amp, it starts losing its tone when you start to really crank it..It is useble I can at least say that.
    Bullet FMV
    I have the 150 watt version of it. It's an amazing head as far as im concerned.
    U-Mass
    I got this amp for my birthday along with my first guitar in april. It's my best friend. Hahaha.
    t3hrav3n
    i'm seriously considering buying one of these, this was quite helpful. much more so than the little magazine that i saw it in.
    Floptickle
    I totally agree with King ofKumbucha... One of my friends has it aswell; When you set to clean and just play some nice and easy std. chord, or anything else, it sounds like flanger and chorus is activated :S Guys! It SUCKS!
    Floptickle
    Btw, I agree with King ofKumbucha on the Cube60 aswell I) The best amp with moddeling features!
    truesunn
    I have the 15w model, and even this smallest amp in the series is too loud to turn up in the bedroom! Great sound!
    Hammett5
    I played a 75 watt at sam ash. Fucking insane.. Love these amps.. I so want one.. Grrr
    orangeacid
    Unfortunately the Spider IIs lack any real tone and feel sort of 'dead'. The clean and crunch settings in particular are abysmal.
    tiss34
    i must admit its a tad harsh wot cubedeathk sed ive been playing along time n i have played theese amps n dey ain half bad, agreed the ain like proffessional but u culd b a Shit guitarist wi shit up stuff n it still sounds wank coz u dunno hw ta use it, jus ppl shuld take sum time 2 perfect wot dey got it will sum nuts afta sum time ps cube amps do rock ass tho
    cubedeathk
    This is why people buy these amps. They are not good at all, people who have very little playing experience write these reviews for these amps. And they are just trying to show off their new gear even though it is horribble.
    sockmunkeprofit
    anotherme
    this thing is great for its price! Yeah some of the effects (almost all) suck but after turning them off i had a nice tone.
    King ofKumbucha
    Do yourself a favor and dont waste your money on this. Ive played it in my friends basement and it has some of the worst effects Ive ever heard. If you want a solid state, do what I did and get a Roland cube 60...a million times better than this piece of shit