Spider III 120 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 120

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I'm using a Squire Strat and it does give an annoying hum when using just one pickup, but that's the guitar's fault. Using two pickups gets rid of the hissing sound though. The distortion on this beast is insane! And the clean setting is pure glass. I'm honestly scared to turn this amp up past about 6 with heavy distortion because I may cause permanent damage to my house! This amp also has a noise gate built in, so if you're gonna have it up loud for a gig, just flip that thing on and it'll kill the hiss from the distortion. Now let's talk distortion for a minute: this amp has 2 clean amp models, 2 for twang, 2 for blues, 2 for crunch, 2 for metal, and 2 for insane. Plus you can give it a distortion boost, so you can throw out those tasty lead licks or those marrow-melting rhythm riffs.

I play mostly classic rock and metal, and this amp is prefect for me! It will play most anything from Stairway to Heaven to Master of Puppets. As a matter of fact, some of the song presets go back to the 50's! If you play a wide variety of music, then this amp is all you! I've been playing for two years and I own a Zoom GFX-5 effects pedal. I prefer the distortion on the amp, however I still use the pedal for wah and also for some effects that the amp doesn't have built in. If it were stolen I would probably get it again, or if I had the money I would grab the 150watt half stack version, but only cause it's got four 12 inch speakers instead of the two tens. I searched the internet over before I found this amp, and I love it to death. I would say that for 400 bucks, you can't top this amp. it's amazing!

I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup. It's never broken down, however i haven't had it too long. A solid state amp doesn't have tubes or anything like that, so that shouldn't be a problem. This amp is not resistant to flame, water, shark attacks, fat chicks, or lava. Also, despite it's loudness, it cannot be heard in the vacuum of space and is not designed for space travel.

This amp is new for 2006. It is a 120 watt solid state amp with two 10" speakers, and with 12 different amp models, reverb, and 6 built in effects, it is probably one of the most versatile amps out there. There's no effects loop, but there is a headphone jack, and also a direct out ethernet cable hook up, so the amp can be pluged into a Line 6 pedal to change effects, distortion, etc. This model is very similar to the Spider II 210, only that this amp has 250 artist-created presets, 150 song-based presets, and also 36 user programmable presets; including artists such as Slipknot and Lacuna Coil, and songs such as Enter Sandman, Crazy Train, Back In Black, Bark At The Moon, and Master of Puppets. I'm stepping up from a 15 watt Fender amp to this 120 watt amp. I'm in a metal band, and our other guitarist has a 100 watt Marshall half-stack, but it takes a while to get used to having to turn down!

MESAexplorer
    ravinbay wrote: this is just like a MG series with many effects
    And more tones and a better tones.
    Constantine
    I looked at these amps, but I can't stand any of the Line 6 stuff... If you're looking for something you can gig with, get something from the Vox Valvetronix series, they're far better tonewise, and the effects are more adjustable.
    6_6_6_1_syn
    ok, i own it and the quality is great...if Line-6 sucks so much why is it that they are a top-selling brand? I also just got a new BC Rich and id have to say i used to think id never buy one. BC Rich sucks as a whole, taking guitars like the warlock into consideration, but if they didnt make good guitars nobody would buy them...i love my mockingbird masterpiece, and it sounds excellent with the spider III. you can literally get any sound out of this amp and it may not be something to use for a large show, concert, etc. it is very reliable and great for smaller shows. i would not buy a vetta or flexitone over this amp...probably not even a vox simply because i play a variety of styles and this amp covers them all so well and its very easy to customize tones. pod-quality, great price!
    6_6_6_1_syn
    Dallen_007 wrote: spoonylove90 wrote: b.c rich sux.....line 6 sux....flame me if u want but that amp is just for bums who sit in their room and want to sound like "rock stars". p.s. the artist models suck too.....actually the artists the effects are modeled after suck. i work at a music store and i see more than 1 busted line 6 a day....they suck dont waste your money now oh great and wise Spoonylove is there anything out there that doesn't suck?
    yes. crate has some nice inexpensive amps. as does vox and behringer. they are solid state but still sound better than this hunk of junk. if u want to sound like a rock star get a tube amp. they are more expensive but 10x better[/quote] your honestly telling me a crate or behringer sounds any better
    classic_rock_90
    if this is anything like the spider 2 series...it is junk...but i really cant judge it because ive never played it
    ironman606
    i think most ppl that say that you cant get a good tone are to stupid to tweak with the settings and make it sound good
    Ishiga
    I've got a spider III 75. I'm already pretty damn happy with it. Some of the presets sound pretty crappy and there are alot of carbon-copy presets with a new name slapped on 'em. But that doesn't mean they all suck. And if you feel like taking the entire five minutes it takes to customize your OWN settings and create your OWN style, it sounds great. I use a digitech grunge pedal set for insane distortion with the amp itself set to twang, drive at max and slight delay. Absolutely love it.
    Bassmidget209
    Hi there this my first post here but I just thought I'd give my input. In my experience, the spider II amp is the WORST amp Ihave ever played. I had to use it in a band practice once, ie at drum volumes and it fell apart I tried it with both pedals and its own distortion. it was painfully glassy on clean and muddy on distortion and did not cut through well at all. The reason Line6 is such a huge brand is simply down to marketing, in the same way the Marshall MG series is one of the biggest selling amp lines in the world despite being another appalling amp. they are bedroom amps which sound nice at low volumes and the spider provides a range of sounds not previously available to a young guitarist. for 400-500 dllars you could get an all valve amp either brand new (epiphone, Peavey) or try looking in the used market for a fantastic bargain. I have a laney which is an awesome amp. I dunno how much they go for over on your side of the pond but I tinhk they would be a worthwhile investment for any player. anyways thats my little rant over lol. Line 6 have some great idea but they always seem to cheap out somewhere, which is a shame.
    Bassmidget209
    Oh and I know this is about the spider III but I heard someone say this is very similar so I figured i would talk about what I know hehe
    sg4ever
    I've got a Kustom Quad DFX 65. It's pretty cool except that distortion doesn't get hard enough for heavy metal. Other than that it's pretty good though I probably should have waited for a Vox valvetronix or something.
    Nightwing827
    I just got the 150 and I have to say I'm very happy with it. The sound is great and so are the presets.
    Doodleface
    6_6_6_1_syn. Line6 is a top selling brand for 2 reasons. marketing. and newbies. the newbies cant tell what tone is good and what isnt yet (not that its there fault.) and b.c. rich only sells guitars because they look cool. my friend (who has a warlock platinum) said so himself. his blackdog is just as good as the warlock. he wanted the warlock because it looked cool
    --->a7x<---
    Hey, well i've got the spider II 30watt and i love it! better than my old marshall in my opinion. As soon as i get the chance i'm gonna get that new model and try it out for myself. People say Spider's are for quantity not quality but in my opinion Line 6's spiders are fantastic! oh and the first comment about bc rich's is true i have the warlock metal master and the virgo silver and black. i only got them for looks =) Back to the amp, i think its gonna be another success
    CustomCustom
    It sounded annoying after trying alot of settings and eqs even at low practice levels. This has all the bells and whistles without a decent tone.
    nin_freak92
    i have a line 6 spider 2, and after about 6 months the thing (just like mentioned above) would NOT turn on. Power button did NOTHING. No lights, no movement, no sound, no anything. Luckily it was still under warranty, so i sent it in and got it fixed. It still doesn't perform as well as it used to b4 it got messed up in my opinion. But it is an AWESOME amp while it lasts.
    dagrocks
    I got a spider 2 just after christmas and that was seccond hand and 2 years old but it was in mint condition line6 are great you just have to treat them well so i dont know why people dont like them. there is one tip i have for anyone that use's a spider amp theese amps have two volume controls turn them both all the way down before you turn your amp on because the feedback will blow your speakers anyway if your into heavy distortion definatly get a spider
    guitarguyluke
    Spider makes a decent amp...but if i had the choice i would go with a crate for sure. Not anymore expensive, but amazing reliability...i play my Les Paul Standard through my GLX 120, and it sounds amazing.
    Vampdawn666
    I am getting this amp, and I am definitely going to use it for my band. It seems to be a great amp, and it seemes very durable and great sounding. I agree with dagrocks, who wouldn't like this amp? Probably people who are emo....
    thebrokensmile
    yeah, line 6's aren't the best amp to go for. i wouldn't recommend going for one. and yes they pretty much only aim for quantity instead of quality. if you want a good brand of amps get marshall and vox and peavey and maybe roland.
    matthew_z31
    Doodleface wrote: don't buy this. but the vox valvetronix. or save for a good amp. and if your sworn to line6's stuff, save for a flextone or a vetta.
    agreed...spider's blow...but I do like my Flextone II, and the Vetta's are really nice...
    weswyy
    i bought the 150 watt a week ago and this thing will rattle the walls , i was wanting a valve amp so i played on a peavy valve king a few days and it sounds good but it didnt get muddy enoughf for me so i went with the line 6 ,,, I LIKE IT ...
    Rock Boy
    If the sound is clean and doesn't make noise, just plug in some good pedals then... Does this thing have a effects loop function?
    kaptink
    This amp is not resistant to flame, water, shark attacks, fat chicks, or lava.
    denied
    i have concerns about line 6 amp reliability... my spider 2 had huge problems, and eventually refused to turn on right before a gig.... id stay away from these...they seem to focus so much on cramming them with presets and effects that they forget to build a solid good amp...
    E V H 5150
    Doodleface
    red star
    ehh i played it and it didn't really suit me. whatever if you like it dont let anyone tell you not too
    Synyster Gates
    line 6 is a coin toss amp ive heard lots of people get bad amps from them and id believe it i probably just got lucky with my spider 2 but now i ahve a half stack (crate with ampeg cab) so it dont matter
    iceman_8319
    i think its just like the spider 2's but with a ton of presets... correct me if im wrong
    Cynoxx
    Spiders are all about quantity, not quality. You'll figure it out by yourself when you hear some real nice amps.
    radioplay
    im impresed by the amp...i just got one the other day
    E V H 5150 wrote: Some questions. Is it easy to get the right sound, without using presets? Price? Are the effect overpowered by the distortion? What are all the effects on this?
    somewhat easy to get the wanted sounds...but the presets can help... i paid 400 bucks the effects sound great,and distortion doesnt usually overpower them...but it can on some presets.
    harrythehobo123
    hmm, it seems like people either love or hate this amp...no middle ground. But anyways, here's a link to the line 6 site (i hope html works on here). there's samples of the presets, videos, pictures, and a list of the amp models and effects on there
    Sephirangel
    ive had the spider 212 now for a while and its never let me down so this one should be no different
    I am that guy
    i got the amp about a month ago.i love some of the presets.it has some pretty nice stuff on it.plug my esp-kh2 into it and set it to the M.O.P. preset.some bad ass stuff right there.its a pretty good amp i recommend getting one if you cant afford a really nice amp,but then again why listen to me?im just that guy
    ACECJAY
    Kid Fisto
    ACECJAY wrote: i just gt the 75w. fr xmas but now i need a guitar cuzz i snapped the neck on my les paul
    yeowch! that really sux. hope it was a crappy epiphone and not a real gibson.... i'd say get a BC rich but they have the same problem. as for the review: great review. i want one. *runs off to music store*
    Dallen_007
    now oh great and wise Spoonylove is there anything out there that doesn't suck?