Spider III 120 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 120

Purchased from: Vince's Music

I am currently using an Epi Les Paul Classic and a Fender 12-string Strat and both the single coils and the 'buckers sound great through it. I play a lot of metal and hard rock but with a little acoustic and I am well pleased with it. Not too much static with the aforementioned noise gate on so good on that. The clean is like crystal no matter what setting and the insane level with just about massacre you (in a good way) but does leave a little to be desired for Randy Rhoads things, early Metallica, and Slayer-type things.

No matter what you're into, the Spider III has the sound (and probably the preset) for you. However some of the presets for the classic songs are a little inaccurate, you can make your own on one of the 40 user presets. If it was stolen or lost I would definately buy another, even if I lost that one. Before buying this I had a Vox Valvetronix (one of the cheap ones, not a NeoDog) and where the Vox has better overall effects, it simply can't hold up to the sound quality and versatility of the Spider III.

I haven't had this amp for that much time but so far it's taken some beatings (dropped it, spilled a little water on it) but it's held up just fine as to now. It seems fairly rugged to me, and it's not a tube amp so tubes aren't an issue. So far, I haven't had any problems with it yet!

This amp is a fairly new model so I'm pretty sure it was made in 2006. It can produce a huge range of sound. The clean is beautiful, whereas the red Insane is full of gain and best for tapping solos. You can get pretty much whatever sound you want from just about any musical era with this bad boy. it's got a headphone jack, mp3/cd input, and a footswitch jack (however like all line6 amps they only work with Line 6 footswitches because of the kind of jack). the effects are pretty cool (especially the sweep echo) but my only real complaint is that if you want chorus, it's only comes with flange not separately so I'm kinda s.o.l. on that respect. I have the 150 not the 120 (the 150 wasn't on the drop-down menu) and it has 2-12" Celestions and they are plenty, plenty loud. I can't get it past about 5 without fear of knocking things over. Also, it has a built in noise gate and distortion boost (however, you're going to have to read the "Special Hidden Functions" section of the manual to understand how to turn them on). Oh, and the 400+ presets aren't bad either.

thejake89
    this amp was very very good. i love playing it. all the effects. i mainly play things like trivium, as i lay dying and avenged sevenfold. and its great for playing with my band. it was deffinetly worth the money.
    junior92
    I have been shopping around for a solid state amp for the last few days, and i went in to a guitar store and tried, and the spider 3 120 watt seems like a really good buy... I'm not a hugely experienced guitarist, but i know good value when i see it, cheers to all of those who are supporting this thing, you have given me the confidence to buy it, and **** all of you snobs that are so closed minded...
    tordTERROR91
    d-d-d-d-d-digital! you dont want this i got mine last christmas from my dad frankly, id rather he'd bought me a pair of musical socks just wait till you get home and crank it, you're in for a surprise...and not a pleasant one
    Josola
    Hey just one question i was think or buying this and you guys where all saying about valve amps and so on yet the new spider valve has a valve but what i didnt no is if it had the same amount of presets and that?
    Big Man Jack
    Xx_Bruce_xX wrote: Ok, so I'm in dire dire DIRE need of an amp and i need an amp to practice with in a band, should be nice and louder than the drums and maybe for smaller shows but I don't have the money to buy a fancy GREAT sounding amp my friend has the 15 watt, and i think it sounds great and gets sorta loud the 120 should be loud enough to fit my needs are there any other amps in the 400 dollar area as good as this, or any suggestions? cause i don't want to waste all my money on an amp that's not going to be good... p.s. i will be playing alot of metal like black dahlia murder, children of bodom, and such...will this amp be good for that type of music?
    Dude,im in the same boat.Kick some ass
    Big Man Jack
    harrythehobo123 wrote: and besides, the entire point of having nice stuff is to sound like a rock star, isn't it?
    Im not flaming line 6(I acually love them)but the point is for wannabe "rockstars" to want to sound like you!After all wring great music and being known for it was their dream too.Be unique
    jsturner
    I own the spider 2 30 and the new spider valve212. I like the 30 for around the house. I've only played for a couple years BUT so far so good. Buy what YOU think sounds good. Ask 1000 people and you will get 1000 different opinions. Rock on brothers!!!!
    MorbidVirus
    Returned the amp today and got a new one. I get home, plug it in and press the on switch, and to my surprise the thing doesn't turn on AGAIN!!! the display screen shows like 6 little squares instead of the presets and simply wont play.
    MorbidVirus
    I bought this amp on Saturday the 16th and was pretty excited about it, good sound and all, looks great, but the thing stopped working like 2 days ago, the screen is glitched and wont turn on. very disappointing =\
    Dirt Bag Boy
    i played this amp with the ibanez i have at a guitar center and the amp blew me away. i had heard very negative things about the spider 2 and 3 but this was just fantastic. and now i have enuff cash so im goin for it
    junior92
    i got the amp a few weeks ago and itll suit that perfectly.. it is VERY LOUD, the only downer i could say is that it is missing some of the fatter tones like some chili peppers tones, other than that it is fantastic, has many things options with built in tones, endless features, and great flexibility with tones that u can make up which u can save for use in the future. Cheers
    Xx_Bruce_xX
    Nate707
    I'm thinking about buying this amp. It looks great but I'm a little worried about the way you can only hook up Line 6 pedals?? If that's true that is messed up.
    Mahoru
    And for Landon54; yes, it could definitely handle outside gigs without help. 120w are a lot if you turn the volume up xD
    Mahoru
    Thank you, biglaz 84 I'm tired of all that Spider and POD bashing without reason. I spent a whole afternoon trying all kind of solid-state amps, and this one was the best without comparison. And my teacher has has POD XT, and he lent it to me for 3 days... and thanks to it I discovered the wonderful world of digital and direct recording (remember that the POD goes for only about 320$; I think it's one of the best bargains on the market nowadays ) So please, no more gear bashing if you don't have good reasons '
    biglaz84
    Empty bottle and Mahoru are the only two who have a decent review. For the money its the most versatile best sounding non-tube. You want tube? Scrape together around $1000 and buy one. Anything under $1000 is gonna have drawbacks, you usually get what you pay for with tubes. If you have less than 500, buy this thing
    Landon54
    I wanna get this amp, but was wondering how loud it goes. I would need it for playing outside gigs, without a PA system or anything. I also heard that when hooked up to something external (like a PA) that no sound comes out of the amp, and only out of the externals. Is this true?
    Mahoru
    Tried it last week, along with a 120w Crate amp. The Crate completely sucked (believe me, I still haven't found a Crate I like xD), but this one surprised me a lot in a good way. It's very versatile and complete (there are lots of the preset sounds I liked), and for that price... man, it's amazing!! Of course, you can't compare it with a real tube amp. I'm not saying it's better, 'cause it's not. But if you want a powerful and all-round amp, you can play at home, at the studio or live without any problem, and you don't have about 1500$ for a tube amp, you can spend about 600$ on this one and will be perfectly served until you can get your tubes!
    Helmann
    The reason I'm looking for a new amp is because my Vox doesn't give me a warm feeling. It loses its sound on high volumes.
    Helmann
    hi, wonder if I can get some advice. I've got a Schecter Revenger FR, a GT-8 and a Valvetoronix. I don't like to perform, just like to sit and jam as loud as **** in a room. All Styles, but mostly A7X, Trivium, Tool. I'm looking for a new amp that can go with the guitar and gt-8. Our amp choices in South Africa are very limited and expensive (wish I had a dual rectifier). Which amp do you guys recommend, so far it looks to me my best bet would be a Spider. Just don't say Crate or Laney plz.
    Idroolalot
    Well, I think this Amp rocks for the price (150 2x12) I use it primarily for writing new material. I'm the vocalist in a band with 2 guitar players they both use Mesa Boogie 1/2 stacks and of course this amp is in a different class than those. I will say that we gig a lot and it seems there is always a tube going bad in one of their heads probably due to constant banging around, I never have to worry about that problem!
    6_6_6_1_syn
    6_6_6_1_syn. Line6 is a top selling brand for 2 reasons. marketing. and newbies. the newbies cant tell what tone is good and what isnt yet (not that its there fault.) and b.c. rich only sells guitars because they look cool. my friend (who has a warlock platinum) said so himself. his blackdog is just as good as the warlock. he wanted the warlock because it looked cool
    Well I don't think a billion dollar company can make it strictly by selling to "newbies". I guess if you consider James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett "newbies", then I suggest you eat a dick. Also, the warlock in my opinion looks horrible, and you need to first try a decent BC Rich guitar for yourself and not trust your friend's opinion on a piece of crap before judging all of their models. Line 6 released the POD, with an amazing array of sound banks and effects, and I dounbt thats limited to "newbies". When you put this into a combo amp, it couldn't get much better. If you dislike Line 6, thats your own opinion, but if you feel the need to be an *****, leave now. I'm entitled to my opinion. A name like Doodleface compels me to believe that you are in fact a "newbie", and according to your logic I think you need to go buy a Spider III.
    Empty_bottle
    i just bought one, i think some of you are insane, what do you mean crappy tone? i played this thing for 3 hours at the store at blasted volume and it was crystal clear even with as much distortion as possible heaped on. and yes they went a little over board with the 400 presets, but why do you buy an amp? for good sound, this amp has good sound, and if your not a cheap ass just dish 20 bucks for the pedal and you have a way of easily switching presets during a show. its good for the price and is very good if you play different styles. anything that can give me a 70's fuzz one second and dimebag distort the next, even to a nice ambiant clean from there, has my respect. and im not a ****ing newbie guitarest i know what im talking about. all personal preference gents.
    Sprite2
    I love this amp, I got it the other day, its not a tube amp, so its not going to sound like a tube amp. I've been playing for a year and I play very small bar gigs and stuff with a cover band, with a few originals, this amp is PERFECT. not to mention practice is much improved with the MP3 in so we can play right along with the song no problem. What is the URL for getting the song list though?
    Bob3012
    well i noticed that many of use r saying go a vox valvetronix over this amp. i can honestly say that this isnt a great idea. i got a 50 watt valvetronix for christmas and my brother recently bought a 75 watt line 6 spider 3. i can honestly say that his spider kicks my voxes ass