Spider III 120 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 120

I use a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Mexican Strat with a Duncan Invader in the bridge. I play everything from punk, to alternative, to Metal, but i dabble in all kinds of music. This amp is great for my playing cause of all the amp types it provides. The amp gives you 36 of your own settings wich is awsome cause you can create and store all the setting you want. I also have the FBV2 footswitch wich is very useful. But then you get to the big Line 6 controversy. Line 6 is a very digital company and since this is a solid state amp and does not have tubes the sound isnt perfect. i can get a pretty brutal metal tone but if i want a really brutal Dimebag sound this amp just cant get there. Since this amp has SO many settings each one is not perfect and has its own little flaws. Another thing i noticed is that when your playing Live and have the amp up louder you need to watch the distortion you use, because the amp is digital it can get pretty fuzzy and meshed together, just turn the gain down a bit you'll still get a killer sound.

I know that a lot oh people smash these amps and hate them with a passion, but I disagree with them. This is a great amp, and I got it when I was still very youg as a guitar player. It is a very versatile amp and it provides a lot of great sounds. For a solid state digital amp I think Line 6 has done a great job and I am very happy with this amp. there is a lot of stuff packed into this amp and you need to do some tweeking to get the sound your looking for, but once you learn how everything works it's quite easy to achieve almost any sound you want. Although, I would recomend these for more begginer players that are growing in thier playing and looking for a style or intermediate players Who want a lot of versatility, for more advanced players go get a tube amp and stop complaining.

This amp in my opinion is very durable. I have banged it around many times and it holds up fine. I have yet to have any problems with it and I can't see myself having any in the future, this is a solid amp. The back of the amp is also open wich is nice so I can stick my footswitch, Wah, Cables, and well you get the point.

I got this amp back in 06 when Line 6 was still making a name for themselves with the Spider III series. This amp comes with a headphone input, a line in for ipods & CD players, and in input for numerous different Line 6 footswitches. it's a solid state digital amp with 120 wats through 2 12" speakers wich means it's loud, very loud. I have used this Live many times and it's got pleanty of sound so you probably wont ever have to turn it up to 10. It provides 250 artist presents, wich I have never used cause I really don't think they reflect the artists enough, and 150 song based presents wich I really like cause they are surprisingly accurate. It has 7 FX wich are nicely done by Line 6 that are very customizable and tweekable for whatever you are looking for.