Spider III 120 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 120

I use an Epiphone Casino hollowbody with 2 p-90's and this guitar sounds like "angel hammers on tuned glass" on clean, and "pit bulls getting castrated" on the insane setting. But never losing the clarity in the high range. My Epi Flame-Kat with mini-humbickers can be a handful with most amps, but behaves with this one. My Vintage BC Rich Warlock and Les Paul Black Beauty basically rip your ears off with power even when clean. The distortion on the presets is so versatile. A few even make the lower strings "crunch-roar" while letting the high strings sing clear and loud. I am getting crunch sounds like George Lynch gets that I never could dial in on other amps. I am getting soaring solo sounds with enough bottom to still be pleasant. I am getting awesome smooth-sharp jazz and country twang on the clean settings. So much power on the clean settings I can't believe it. The distortion never gets so "muddled" that you lose playability.

I Switch from bass to lead/rythm guitar a lot depending on the songs and whether I am singing lead (don't like to play bass and sing together) We play everything from 50's rock and roll to 80's hard rock with occasional hardcore throuwn in just for fun. Whether we're playing the Beatles or Korn, Neil Young or Motley Crue, Tracy Chapman or Metallica, this amp lets me do it easily and quickly. I've been playing for 28 years and also have a Fender Bassman and Vintage Fender Blues deVille 4 by 10 that will probably sit unused now. My Marshall 100 has been sold. Good riddance. I also use Line 6 Lowdown 300 pro exclusively for bass. I add Line 6 POD 2.0 to all my rigs just in case I want to do something crazy. Both these amps work great with my NADY wireless systems the through the Mackie and Berringer soundboards to the pa. I would buy another of these amps immediately if this one was gone. I chose it because I thought the presets would make life easier. I was right. The quality and sound was just an added bonus.

My classic rock/variety band is loud. Three lead/rythm guitarists plus keys, bass and drums and multi-vocals at any given time. WE use a lot of pa/monitor wattage and if the sound guy turns off my mix I can still play loud enough just through the amp to keep up. This amp does not seem to pick up "gremlins" when it sit's for a while not being used. Good heavy case, with setback controls and internals to protect them.

This versatile awesome amp first out in 2006 has a wide array of amp models from clean, to crunch, to twang, to blow your socks off without removing your shoes. The built in effects are easy to use and feature small led's so you can quickly see which effect you are using (they are 3 to a dial like Marshall's FX amps) which is way better than Marshall's FX amps where you are not quite sure when you are on the high end of one effect or the low end of another. Of Course with 400 presets (250 artist deigned and 150 song styles) why even mess with the knobs. You can also assign your fav to user presets for quick access with buttons or floorboards.

Haunt3dAng3l
    lukegjpotter wrote: Looks to me that there are a lot of Crate fan-boys here
    Looks that way to me too. I don't own this amp but I know a few people that do and they don't bitch about it. I think it sounds great. "The tone sux" some of the comments say. Some of the presets blow but you have a lot of options with making your own tones. I've heard some pretty sweet metal and clean tones coming outta that amp before. I think if people say it sucks, maybe they bought the wrong amp for what they are looking to play?
    Haunt3dAng3l
    Only been a few days since my last post on this and I bought it lol. In my opinion this is a fantastic amplifier.
    a7xf@n43v3r
    ok well there is a love/hate thing here so I'm gonna try it but if this thing lets me down then I'm done with Line 6. I hear a lot of bad about them but a lot of good too