Spider III 120 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 5.3 Decent
Line 6: Spider III 120

Purchased from: Rockin' Rooster

I currently am playing my LTD M-200FM through this amp with EMG's, and yes, at bedroom volume it don't sound half bad, it gives me some nice cleans and a few cool distortion sounds, but the distortion does lack balls, especially once turned up, very unclear and muddy. It's a very quiet amp even at high gain due to the built-in noise gate, but I wouldn't turn the gain up too much else you just end up with mud. First thing I noticed when I first cranked this thing up loud at practise, It has tooooo much bass, we could hear the bass player over it! So I turned the bass down, but by the time I had turned it down enough to stop it rattling the house down, there was practically no bass to it, making my tone sound thin and weak!

Now to end it all, I know I have been a bit harsh on this amp, but it needed to be said, just so you know I have nothing against Line 6, I love some of their stuff, I do my recording with a Toneport UX2, I just think they would be better sticking to recording gear and effects units, and just staying away from amps. Fair play, if your getting your first big amp, or just need an amp to gig with but are on a tight budget, go ahead! Buy one! But if you want decent tone, stay awaaay! If I had the chance to crank this up to practise/gig volume in the shop, I'm preety sure I wouldn't have bought it.

This amp is quite durable, its had a couple of knocks from going in and out of cars and vans for gigs, but its still in working condition, in fact its reliability is probably the best thing this amp has! I have heard of some people having a few problems with it, but none of which have happened to me... Yet! Haha

Right, first things first, I know a lot of people bum these amps, but I'm gonna be completely blunt about what I think, but don't worry, it's not all bad! So, this amp has been around for a while now, and yes it has some cool features, 4 channels that you can save your tones to, 12 amp models and a range of effects, but one thing annoys me with the effect, you can't control how much of it you have... All I want is a little bit of chorus on my clean tone, but as soon as I turn it on I'm flooded with chorus! But the delay's on the other hand can be quite nice, but still feature the same problem.

davidblackjuda2
    a7xf@n43v3r wrote: ok well there is a love/hate thing here so I'm gonna try it but if this thing lets me down then I'm done with Line 6. I hear a lot of bad about them but a lot of good too
    hmmm,dude,have u already bought the line 6 spider yet? sincerely,without talking about price,what can u say bout it? 9.2 overall rating sounds a bit curious,that will b my last amp i'm gonna buy online and the demos online r not convincing though.asap reply please thanks.PS:demos on youtube r fake most of the time.
    adam priest
    ok imho, you either like it or you don't, i have had this amp for about 5 months now and don't get me wrong ive played on marshalls, peavey and randalls, and im gonna admit some do sound better ( being top notch tube amps) but this is a nice lil amp for th price, everyone is entitled there opinion, imo you cant really use fx pedals on this cuz it sounds shite, but man, i have a jackson dkmg with emgs and this kicks and a kick hammett wah it sounds okish. basically its not the best amp out there and it isnt the worst.
    Guarded_mind
    Look this amp is a very good amp to figure out your sound on its cheap enough to be available to everyone, at the moment I am finding the distortion to be very digital sounding but thats a given considering its a solid state amp. its packed with tonnes of presets which can be very useful I would say its a great amp for a player who wants to upgrade there amp but isn't sure what there sound is yet. It has served me well for the time i have used it. I have had no problems with reliability while gigging small events. at the moment i am saving for a bogner alchemist