Spider III 120 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6 Neat
Line 6: Spider III 120

Price paid: C$ 500

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

One cannot truly describe how terrible this amp sounds. With ANY guitar. There's a bazillion presets and I've only ever used TWO! That's because there is only two bearable tones on the amp. Riggs insane and Razorlight. Riggs is the distortion, sounds bearable for rhythms, sounds like a burning orphanage the second you play a melody. Razorlight is the closest to clean I've gotten. It's actually a pretty good tone if you add Chorus and delay but you should not need effects to make the tone sound better. Use single coil pick ups, use humbuckers, use cheap guitars, use pro guitars, flick all the dials you want, be Eddie Van Halen if you can! None of that will make this amp's tone suck any less. It's shrill, whiny, thin, scrathy, muffled, and just plain bad. You know what I use the most? The built in tuner.

I like to play everything but metal is my favorite. This amp claims it can give you a Killer metal tone....that's a lie. To be fair though, I got the amp when I was still very much a beginner. Being young and stupid at the time I thought the amp was great. 120 watts for 500$!? I later learned watts means almost nothing. The effects sounded good to me at the time because I never had anything other than a cheap practice amp before. Those days are in the past. If you're a beginner, just looking to practice and maybe Jam with your buddies...you can get tube powered amp combos out there for just a bit more money! Then you could buy a multi effects unit if you wanted to get all the delays and flanges and what not. One thing is for sure, if you have a spider III, no one will ever steal it.

Throw it down a flight of stairs? It'll survive. It's built pretty solid. I assume this is to protect itself from people who try to smash it due to wasting money for terrible tone. I would not record with the amp! Let alone gigging. If it sounded good though, I'd gig with it but still use a back up. Even the best equipment can, and at some point, WILL, FAIL.

The amp was made in 2006 or so. It's a modeling amp so it has a whole bunch of "channels" I guess you could say. There are 6 model settings on the dial, starting at clean and ending at Insane. Each mode has 2 settings, a green LED and red LED. The difference is that red has more gain of the two. No effects loop, you don't need one though. That is because this amp has most any effect you could want. Too bad you can't really control any dynamics to those effects besides "more or less" of the effects...400+ built in presets as well.