Spider III 120 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 120

Made in China or USA I don't really know, this amp caught my attention for its size 120 watts and also because it was at good price it has a nice look, you get 4 channels which are great two for cleans and two for distortion, it has a built in tuner (gotta love the tuner) and it has a bank of presets which I don't really use now. It also features effects like tremolo and delay and another one I can't remember but which I don't use. The volume for the channel and the master volume and also a reverb control (which came in without the button), It also has two Celestion speakers which sound incredible, I already knew about them but I have never own a Line 6 amp, mostly because I have also two other amps but I can say that this thing blew me away when I want to play at my house the low volume still sound fully distorted without losing its tone and harmonics, which is really incredible.

I play all kinds of music but mostly I use the distortions and this amp sounds incredible if you crank the volume up it will literally destroy your windows. I also try the clean channel but I think where this amp shines is really on the distortion you can get that "It's My Life" Bon Jovi distortion or that tight compressed sound of the nu metal or thrash metal sound.

I play mostly '80s rock and metal and some shredding I own 4 guitars and I play mostly my Ibanez RGT42 with Infiniti humbuckers and it sounds hot and heavy, I also tried my LTD F 50 with V8 humbucker on the bridge and it will just scream, I have recorded my self with my cellphone and the quality of sound is very good. It doesn't sound bad if you turn up the volume and when you Switch to Insane RED Channel which sounds like a Marshall JCM 800 or like a Soldano you will not want to put this amp in off. It is just too addictive The Insane Channel gives you every guitar player like me wants just a good old fashioned tube distortion type that same distortion Slash with Guns made famous or the one that Megadeth and Metallica used.

This Baby rocks the house wherever you are if it's a closed venue will make your guitar sound like Heaven (if you can shred) and the harmonics really scream, I don't need a stompbox or to use the Distortion Boost that is built in. I just wish it had the footswitch because it didn't came with it.

This is the most scary thing about it being all digital I was scared that this thing could just died someday but I purchased the Guitar Center warranty and for two years I can play this baby without being worried about its last day, the Amp is heavy but it should be as it has 120 watts of pure power, I would totally gig with it if it is a closed venue and the amp really seems it is solid. I don't think I will have problems with it, some people say it sometimes don't turn on after a gig but I think that is because the amp can overheat and shuts itself to prevent more damage, so be careful and don't abuse this amp, take care of it, and if you are like me, you will be happy with a 200 amp than a 2500 head and cabinet.

I play mostly hard rock like Def Leppard or Guns N' Roses songs, I don't play a lot with the clean settings but they are good. I Have been playing for 15 years and I own two Ibanez RG guitars with DiMarzio Infiniti humbucker and other with X2N, the sound I can get is close to the one Slash used on the "Use Your Illusion" albums, or the distortion that you hear on those power metal bands like Stratovarius, Helloween or Symphony X, I don't hate anything about this amp I just wish it had wheels and an acoustic simulator, but other than that is perfect. If it were lost I would totally buy another one but this time would be the Spider IV, compared to my Marshall AVT 100 this amp is better because it has a lot more options and also a built in tuner, but I must admit the Marshall will deliver much more punch (bass) than this Line 6.

However I never played the Marshall without a distortion pedal because the distortion of the amp is just sterile and it lacks clarity. But if you want to play only cleans I think there are better options there, my favorite feature is the 4 different channels is just great, and the controls for each one, you can control the treble and the mids, but also you have channel voulme and master volume. This amp really is like a dream come true, and I never expected this, I tried the spider IV and it didn't sound like this, I think they're different and this amp features and quality of sound is just unbeatable for the money I paid. I just hope this amp lasts for more than 5 years.