Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

A lot of people say this amp sounds really digital, but it sounds fine to me. Maybe my ears not developed, but it sounds warm and authentic enough, at least for a $100 amp. I've got a Fender Highway One Stratocaster with three single coils, and it sounds great. Again, though, the Insane setting just sounds ridiculously bad for most songs.

Again, for classic rock and metal, this amp is a perfect match for a practice amp. If you're looking for a concert amp, keep searching, but if you want a cheap bedroom practice amp, or even an amp for band practice, try this out. If you want a quieter amp for a little more and with a few more features, check out the Roland Micro Cube. Personally, I'll stick with the Spider.

I haven't had this amp for very long, but it seems like it would be reliable enough, although I'm not sure how it would handle very high volumes. For gigging, I would probably take a backup (it is a 15 watt amp, after all), but I would consider it for a primary amp.

I got this amp new from Guitar Center in December 2007. It's a solid state 15 watt amp. It has four effects channels, clean, crunch, metal, and insane. Contrary to what you might think, crunch is the cleanest. Clean actually has a weird echo effect. Metal is an excellent high-gain channel, but insane is something of a waste. It has probably the most distortion possible, and is really fuzzy and awful. The amp has all the regular dials, drive, bass, mid, treble, and so on. For effects, it's got flanger, phaser, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb, all of which sound fine. It has a standard line out jack and a CD in, which is a 3.5mm jack that lets you use it basically as a speaker with two inputs. This amp gets extremely loud, I use it for bedroom practice, and almost never take it above 2. For metal and classic rock, this amp has the perfect effects and distortion. The Insane channel is enough of a waste, though, that I have to give it an 8 in features.

Metalic Demon
    This is one insane amp, i use a cort x6 and they go together like 2 pieces of lego
    goldbuddist wrote: you can use the drive knob to change the distortion effect on the insane and metal channels lol (who the hell reads the instructions?)
    I DID
    Metalic Demon
    rancidryan wrote: im thinking of getting this amp does anyone know of a similar one with a pedal jack?
    yeah the 30 watt version of this