Spider III 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Line 6: Spider III 15

I'm playing on an Ibanez RG120. The amp suits my music style quite well and its versatility is vast though not convenient. As I said before the amp has several presets. The clean channel is what it is. There is no breakup whatsoever. The crunch and metal are two degrees of the same thing. The insane channel however is only good for lead guitar. Chords tend to get washed out in it. Playing chords on insane preset is probably where this amp reputation for being digital comes from. Both of the echo effects, the tremelo, phaser, flange, and reverb, don't sound like they should in one way or another. This is especially true on the clean and insane channels.

This amp is a good match for the style of music I play. However, there are several things that have lead me to dislike this amp: the lack of footswitch compatibility, the poorly engineered effects (phaser, echo etc.), and the clumsiness of the interface make this a regrettable buy. I haven't owned for long, but the issues are so intolerable that I'm spending another $100-150 to replace this amp. Instead of this amp I recommend the Vox pathfinder 15 watt or the Vox AD15VT both or Roland Cube X15 all of which are footswitchable. And if you don't care about the footswitch then forget the those entirely and go with Crate 15X.

This amp seems sturdy. I haven't throw it around or anything and I probably wouldn't even if it were made out of steel. As for reliability. I haven't had any changes in performance after heavy use. I would take it to a gig if it weren't for the fact that it's only 15 watts.

I don't know what year the amp was made. This amp is very versatile, but that being said, it adheres to the cliche "Jack of all trades/master of none." I play metal, hardcore, and rock. I stick with bands such as A7X, Atreyu, Smashing Pumpkins and others. Between the 4 channels (clean, crunch, metal, and insane) I can usually get the sound I want but, only after I wrestle with the thing for a minute or two. I use the headphone jack sometimes when I play late and it sounds so clear that sometimes I have to check to make sure the headphones are actually plugged in. One thing which hurts this amp badly is that it doesn't have footswitch compatibility. This is a big miss for Line 6. Another thing is that some of the presets have some obnoxious amounts of echo and phaser on them that you have to adjust everytime you use the channels. The amp is loud and powerful if you are going to be playing in a bedroom or 1-2 car garage you will never turn it all the way up.