Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

I use an Fender Strat with stock pickups. Not the most ideal guitar to have to play metal, so I got this amp thinking that I could get some insanely good sounds out of it. To tell the truth I was really dissapointed. The clean channel is ok I guess, but I rarely use it. The crunch channel is good to use if you're playing stuff like Sabbath, it gives it that nice dark feeling to it. The metal channel is my favorite, but it could be better. It might be my guitar, but when I start to play stuff like Metallica and Slayer, it just doesn't seem to sound right on this amp, like the tone is lacking abnd just too much distortion.. The distortion on that channel is killer, but it might be a bit too much. The insane channel is practically useless, way to much distortion to hear yourself play. It has some cool effects, but I think all that extra stuff takes away from the quality of the sound, but that all depends on your personal preference.

I love playing metal, and it's meant for that, but there are way better amps out there. I've been using this amp for about a year and I've been saving up to get something better. I've tried out a few Peavy Valvekings, and some Vox Valvetronix, and they just blow this thing out of the water. If I were to lose it, I probably wouldn't care. I'd get something better. I wouldn't recomend you buy this unless you're a metalhead living in a tiny apartment w/annoying neighbors or something. I just wish that somebody would've told me that this thing was a "semi"-waste of a hundred bucks before I got it.

I've never used it to for gigging, but I've used it to jam along w/my friends and stuff, and it can hold it's own if whoever your playing with doesn't have an amp that's insanely better than yours. I've dropped it a few times, but the drops were only like from 1 or 2 feet onto pavement and stuff, and the amp only suffered minor scratches, that's all.

Solid state amp, not sure what year it was made. It has 4 channels (clean, chruch, metal, insane), 6 effects (chorus flange, phaser, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo, and reverb), 2 of those effects can be played simultaneously, headphone jack, and a jack for a CD/MP3 player. It's a very vertisile amp, but it's best suited to play rock and metal. I like to play all kinds of metal (anything between Black Sabbath to Slayer) and it's good to play that kind of music, but it kinda sucks when you want jam along w/your friends because it just isn't loud enough. If you have annoying parents or pesky neighbors, it's a good amp to have just to practice with. Also, when you go past 6-8 on the master volume, you tend to get too much fuzz and distortion and then you can't even tell what it is you're playing.

J Mud
    This was my first amp, good for practice, but I recomend a better quality amp for performing.