Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

Purchased from: Mozart, Dubai

I'm using the amp with an Ibanez GRG270B and factory pickups. It suits my music style as it has a Metal channel (For that Metallica tone) and an Insane channel (For that Slayer tone). It is pretty noisy in the Insane channel but I guess that's why it's called Insane. The amp came with factory tone settings which made the amp sound horrible. The Clean channel had Tape Echo and Phaser activated whenever you change to the Clean channel, The Crunch channel had too much Bass and very less Mid, The Metal channel had less Mid, the Insane channel was alright. But when you tweak with the EQ and get that right tone that you're looking for the amp is great. I think it's got a lot of variety, with the 4 channels. The clean doesn't tend to distort even at high volumes. The distortion can get really brutal in the Insane channel, full on Gain kind of stuff. The only turn off is the factory tone which really was horrible, but I you press the preset button (clean, crunch, etc.) for a while, it will save your settings. It also has a built in Noise Gate which is very useful (It shows you how to activate it in the manual).

As I mentioned before I play a lot of Metal and in my opinion this amp suits it well. I've been playing for around 7 months now and I own an Ibanez GRG270B and an Ibanez V70 Acoustic. If it were stolen or lost I wouldn't buy it again, I would probably get something bigger and better. I love the Insane and Metal channels, but I hate the factory tone it came with. My favorite feature would probably be the amount of Gain you can achieve on the Insane channel. I compared this to my friend's Marshall MG15CDFX. His had a better tone actually but mine had a lot of variety, as well as 6 Effects while his had 4. I probably chose this amp because I liked the Insane channel and it had a good price. Overall it's a good practice amp, not that good for gigs although it would probably have the volume for a gig but not the sound.

I don't think I would use this at a gig without a backup, because it's only a 15 watt and I think I would use something bigger and better at a gig. Hasn't broken down yet, and looks durable enough to last for a while. It is pretty heavy for a 15 watt but looks tough enough.

Made in 2006, according to the back of the amp. I think the amp is suits my style of playing, because I play a lot of metal and the amp gives a great distortion sound. It has 4 adjustable channels. Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane. It has 6 effects, 3 on each knob, Knob 1 - Chorus Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo. Knob 2 - Sweep Echo, Tape Echo, Reverb. Has one Headphone Jack, and one CD/mp3 input. I wish it had a Switch board making it easier to Switch between 4 channels. I don't use most of the Effects in the amp, but I do use all the channels for different tones of bands. I use the amp at home although it is really loud and my master volume is always on maximum 2 so I guess it should be able to play small gigs.