Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

Price paid: € 100

Purchased from: Local store

I play this through a ESP Ltd EC-1000 (Seymour Duncan humbuckers) and a Fender Custom Telecaster (Evolution DP), though I normally play just the ESP. I'm being fair when I say it sounds OK through this amp. Clean channel is nice, you can get a warm sound here that will satisfy most players. I don't like crunch channel, it sounds too dirty and sharp to get a decent tone from there so forget about that Foo Fighters or QOTSA sound. I find the metal channel a bit useless, since is very distorted but in the bad way, too much sharp; picking sounds ok, but chords sound terrible. However, the insane channel is good; it has more gain than any human being should ever need, but it's funny as hell and it sounds surprisingly acceptable. Therefore, it will satisfy those of you who like a nice warm clean sound and a brutal distortion. A good thing is this amp is extremely quiet. No buzz at all.

Ok, here it comes the important thing. This is not a good amp, but I'm rating it with 10/10, for a simple reason: it's great at what is has to be. If you are looking for a small amp to play you crazy metalcore stuff or whatever in your bedroom, this is your amp. It won't sound awesome, but it sounds heavy, raw, crazy, and that's at least all I need for the amp I play in my bedroom. Of course, you can find a thousand amps which will sound better, and maybe for not too much money; but I've been playing for 6 years, through many amps, and this amp will satisfy any average metal users when it comes to play metal music sitting on his bed. The only amp in this price I could compare this bug to would be the Microcube (Roland), but still, whis would be my choice. Seriosly, this bedroom amp won't disappoint.

Never had a problem with it, and it seems pretty solid, so I don't think I ever need to fix anything about this. I must say that it never goes out of my bedroom, excepto a very few times I could take it to a friend's house, so I guess it should last for a long time.

This bug was made in 2008, I think in Korea. I normally play hardcore and all kind of metal, though I still like some punkrock and blues. Should I say this amp fits all those styles of music? NO. This amp is aimed just to metal, and maybe some blues if you add a bit of gain to the clean channel. There are four channels: Clean, Crunch, Metal, Insane. Clean is quite good, crunch and metal so so, Insane is cool, but I'll explain about this in the sound category. It has some cool effects; thery aren't great, but still they can make you have some fun messing with them. you have tremolo, phaser, echo, chorus, reverb... You can use headphones with this, and there's no way you should use this amp for nothing else than practicing in your room. Don't you dare to use this near a drummer.