Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

I use an Epiphone G400 with the standard pickups. The guiar gives a great sound but I don't really like any of the amps sounds apart from clean. On the insane channel, the sound I like but buzz is horrendous. It can produce a very wide range of sounds and FX, but I now use a Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion pedal, and PH-3 phase shifter. I recommend anyone use a quality distortion pedal with it if you can afford it. The clean sound is good, but it would be good to get a more natural less layered sound.

It is a good much for my style of music, but the sound isn't the best quality. The FX are mediocre and you can't modidy them much. The chorus and flanger FX are alright for what I need, but I very rarely use them. I have been playing for 5 years and at my level of playing it is very suitable. Were it stolen or lost, I would rather buy a Marshal MG series amp or something else with higher wattage and no FX. I don't really have a favourite feature, but I hate the buzz having it on high distortion gives. I didn't try any other products, but I know wish I had. I could've gotten something better. If you are wanting an amp in this price range, I would steer away and look at Marshall and Fender amps. Overall it is an average amp which could be a lot better.

I would gig without a backup, but if the venue offered it's own Marshall stack, well this amp is pretty useless. I can rely on it to always work, and have had no problems. It is very well built and solid. If it did break down I would be disapointed, and would hope it to be possible to replace it with another amp.

The amp was either 07 or 08. It was purchased at the start of 08, so it's safe to assume it's an 07 model. The amp is very versatile, and the 4 channels (clean, crunch, metal, insane) make it very easy to change between different sounds. I tend to play alternative rock, and pop-punk, and this amp works rather well with these. It has built in FX, but these are rather mediocre, and FX pedals are much better and in my opinion more convenient. I do wish the distortion channels didn't have so much buzz which is annoying. I use this amp for practice and gig, but most gigs are just school things, so I don't think a Marshall stack is neccesary.

lao123
    Man I wrote a review it was late at night so my grammar and typing was horrendous!