Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

I used an Ibanez RG120 with mainly both pickups when playing with this amp. It can roar like mad if you want it to, so if you want to wake up the neighbors and shatter your eardrums with metal beastiness, you can!:) The clean channel is kind of sub-par, though - it's duller compared to other amps I've tried out, and when I play it makes a plucky sound that I really don't prefer (yes, I made sure I played chords clearly). One thing I want to make clear for a lot of people is, at first when you turn on the amp, the clean channel is slightly distorted with the flanger. This can be easily fixed forever by turning up the chorus flanger knob to the max, then all the way left so it's off. That gets rid of the flanger. Then, press and hold the clean channel button until the light blinks, saving it's settings. Your clean channel should be without the flanger from now on. The crunch channel didn't impress me. It sounded fuzzy and like a real bad version of the metal channel, no matter whether I cranked up the overdrive or lowered it. The metal channel is ideal for clear, face-crushing high gain tone. That's probably the best thing about this amp. The insane channel is basically the metal channel, but more distorted and chaotic, as intended by Line 6. it's tone is very nice, but it is EXTREMELY sensitive to string touches. Every time you take your fingers off the strings it will sound like a pull-off if you're not careful.

After a week of owning this amp, I returned it not because I didn't like it - it was too big to fit in my school locker! Plus, it's quite heavy for a practice amp, so I don't think you'd be able to walk around with it all day without putting it down. If you ask me, I'm big on portability when it comes to 5 - 15 watt practice amps. If I were to lose this amp or if it were to be stolen from me, I'd be pretty annoyed, obviously, but I'd definitely go and buy a smaller amp with more features. Those are definitely worth the extra twenty or forty bucks.

I'd say it's pretty dependable, since I brought it back and forth from school for a week without ever failing to turn on. I'd definitely bring a backup if I were to play a gig with this, though. Better safe than sorry, as the uber cliche saying goes. The back is always open and mad exposed. For instance, if someone Who hates you walks up and kicks the back of your amp, it'd probably be gone right then and there. Other than that, it won't spontaneously break down on you.

This solid-state amp was made in 2006. It's great for hard rock and metal, and nails the sound of bands like Metallica and AC/DC well. it's fifteen watts are more than enough for bedroom playing and practicing in a room full of other people playing guitars. It features four amp model channels: Clean, Crunch, Metal, and Insane. There is no channel switching by foot; you have to press the channel buttons. It includes effects like a chorus flanger, phaser, reverb, sweep echo, and tape echo. These are decent, but I rarely ever used them. It also has a headphone and MP3 jack next to the power switch. I mainly used this amp at home and school, but it's pretty heavy so I wouldn't recommend lugging it back and forth regularly unless you plan to work out your biceps anyway.

kaciorq
    Well... this is not a bad choice for that price. You can set some sounds and write it to 4 independent cells. There are hidden functions, like: additional gain (keep pressed TAP DELAY TIME, and move DRIVE to the right, after 12 o'clock - it's on, CLEAN lights. or before 12 o'clock - it's off, CLEAN doesn't light) or noise gate (pressed TAP... and move ECHO/REVERB to the right, after 12 o'clock - it's on, INSANE lights, or before 12 o'clocl - it's off, INSANE doesn't light) Sound is hmmm... not bad for 8-inch speaker. It's good choice for home practicing.