Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

Purchased from: GAK

This is my main amp, I use for pratice and band pratice. I'm using it with a Ibanez RGR321EX. The sound has a verity, clean is clean crunch is a Vintage sound but this is very muddy metal is my favouriteand insane is overly distorted but it's good for solos. Getting in to more detail the effects are quite good but the tremolo is a bit of waste and is not really usefull. Now, the neagtive sides pf this is that the amp is to digital I have tryed the Marshall MG15CDR and compared to this amp the distortion on the spider just dosent have that wide analog feel and also the sound feeling of this amp seems to change every now and again when I sit down for some practice the sound like changes on you, sometimes it perfect and sometimes, it's to classy and stiff:s. And before I end I do wish this amp would work nicely with pedals cause when I tryed out a few pedals once they didn't work out that good. But lets end on a postive, this amp is loud, very loud.

Over all this amp is pretty good, but I thing something is missing and they could improve, a foot Switch would be nice and a design that would work with pedals a lot better would be brillant. But it has it's good sides, like it has good distortion (well sometimes) and it's loud, louder then something twice as big and could be heard with the drummer with the volume at 3. If this was stolen I might get something s bit more upper class.

Well, believe me this is a bulid very solid, and it's once fe; l down the stairs and worked fine it's even had a bit of water spilt on it and still worked. I don't really need a back up, but a back up might be an idea but I don't have much money so I rather just stick with this for what ever the reason.

I've had this amp for 3 months now, and I think this shuld be a good time to write a review, it's a solid state modeling amp, 4 channels clean, crunch, metal and insane, all of which is programable. Effects, chourus flange, phaser, tremolo, sweep echo, tape echo (sweep and tape echo have tap delay time) and reverb it also features cd/mp3 in which is a cool feature and a record out and head phone input. And yet there are more fetures, this has a really usefull hidden niose gate and a hidden distortion boost! So I say these are decent features for the price and when you compare it to other amps.

arctic pancake
    Well I own this amp because the Peavey Vypyr (Which is clearly better with the exception of it not turning on sometimes) is not available in my country yet and this was the closest I could get for the price. Now I just don't understand why people keep bashing this amp. Firstly it's a great beginner amp or practice amp for a bedroom setting. Perhaps it doesn't give you the best tone but it does give you good variety and that's important for a beginner so they can decide what they like, don't like, need and don't need. So maybe the effects aren't that great but for a beginner it gives them the opportunity to test out which effects they like and would buy pedals for later on for another amp. Besides all that a beginner wouldn't be able to pick out that "digital dry" tone that people keep complaining about, so it doesn't actually matter. For a beginner variety is more important than quality of tone which they wouldn't be able to pick out anyways. Secondly some people WANT that kind of dry digital tone. Ever heard of industrial? Some people don't want tube warmth, a band like Coldworld just wouldn't sound right if it didn't have that crazy distortion and cold dead tone. It's meant to be like that. If this amp doesn't sound the way you like then buy something else. Personally I didn't like the Roland Cubes I didn't like the tone and I wanted effects for variety. I didn't like the Marshall MG and the Peavey isn't available here yet so I bought this and I'm very happy with it. You guys need to stop bandwagoning and stop bashing an amp just cos everyone else is, and stop saying tube amps are better, good tube amps aren't $99... The Peavey is better but for some people (like me) this is either the only option or for some its a better option. Tone is kind of a subjective thing.
    Haunt3dAng3l
    enselmis wrote: why in the hell would anybody ever buy 120 watts of solid state... absolutely retarded. 2 of my friends have this amp and i have to say it's quite terrible. Ive messed around for a few hours on this thing and everything sounds sharp like a knife. hurts your ears, and then if u roll down the tone, it sounds like a mud bath. anybody in this review, get a damn tube amp or a regular solid state, not digital shit. U DONT NEED EFFECTS ON A PRACTICE AMP!! why would u buy a junk heap thhat u will grow out of in a year anyways once u realise what a junk box it is.
    I got the 120 watts and it kicks ass if you can actually play and I've been playing for quite some time now. You're clearly just one of these people who jumps on the whole "tube amp bandwagon". Good tone will come from the amp. The best tone will come from your playing though. I will agree that like a 1/4 of the presets do BLOW, but the amp is built for versatility and giving the user plenty of options, the band I play in plays lots of different metal genres so this is perfect for me. In my opinion, if you say that this amp is crap and so are other solid states, you must value tone over the actual music or just have an insane idea of what good tone is. Because at least in my playing experience, a good guitarist will make any "half decent" amp sound great by playing great music.