Spider III 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Line 6: Spider III 15

I'm using an Ibanez RG3EX1 with "Designed by EMG" pickups in the neck and bridge. I used another Ibanez at GC to test it out and it seemed ok but when I got it home I think my pickups were a little to hot for this little amp. The speaker sounded like it was going to rip itself apart and I didn't even have it turned up very loud. The clean channel is awful. In any pup position the speaker would buzz terribly when playing notes A through C in any octave. I assume this speaker has a resonant frequency somewhere in that range and the speaker cage vibrates with the cone, making a wretched sound. The Insane mode was cool for about 5 minutes. The metal and crunch tones have no feel to them at all, it truly feels digital. I suppose it's ok for someone Who is just starting out and wants to play Slipknot and nothing else.

I play all kinds of music, from Johnny Cash to Led Zeppelin, Slayer to Pearl Jam, and even some classical like Paganini. This amp is not a good match for people like me Who enjoy playing all styles of music. The sound it produces is just far too soulless. Everything you play makes you feel the same you did when you first started playing back when your first guitar was a cheap Cort that had 5 strings and playing it through your buddies RCA home stereo that he found in a dumpster. Everything sounds like utter crap and you doubt you'll ever be any good so might as well quit. Of course, the moment of jubilation comes when you play a real guitar through a nice amp. Everything sounds just right. This amp will not give you that feeling. I recommend it for young kids or people just starting out, that way they have something to look forward too when they get their chops up. A much better amp in the future...

I returned it, so therefore no I would not use it at a gig or anything like that. It doesnt't have the power to play a gig anyways unless you were playing in a tiny coffee shop somewhere but even then the audience would tell you to take your toneless 100 dollar amp and GTFO. it's got an open back so the speaker and wires could be damaged quite easily I suppose.

I believe it was made in 2008. The amp was not versatile enough for me so I returned it to the store in exchange for a Vox AD30VT. 2 channels, no foot pedal option on this one. I wish it had more tone and a bigger speaker but hey it's 1ess than 100 bucks so whatever. it's got some effects but they are kinda hard to dial in just right.

longman240
    Right, I've written a review which i'm waiting to have published on here, but I'd like to say that although I'm in love with this amp, one of my friends doesn't like it as much and another friend moderately likes it, this is because it's not abount what sounds good to others it's about what sounds good to you, if you like it buy it if you don't, leave it.