Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

Purchased from: Professional Music Technology (Birmingham)

I mainly use the Crunch channel and I find it brilliant as it gives the riffs that warm tone as well as the wetness and distortion for the required effect, the Metal and Insane (only found on Line 6 amps) channels have a huge amount of distortion and are perfect for playing Metallica, Slipknot and Machine Head tunes, even through the distortion the sound is pretty good it's highly recommended on sound quality. One qualm I do have with this amp is when playing on the clean channel there is a delay which is annoying as I find it off-putting when trying to play Stone Sour or Snow Patrol however this can be adjusted by tweaking the knobs for treble, bass and other sound stuffs, I can't remember the exact settings but you should be able to find them on the internet. At high volume the clean channel distorts quite a bit and can give a huge amount of feedback, but that's only at the topmost volume, at mid-top it is fine.

I play this with a PRS 22 Turtletop copy, and it sounds awesome. It has a bounty of features and is a match made in heaven for a beginner guitarist looking for an amp, I tried this amp and a Peavey Vypyr 15 and found this to be superior but I would consider looking into the Peavey, however the Peavey is VERY complicated whereas the Line 6 is bish bosh straight out of the box, if it was stolen I'd mourn for two weeks then buy a new one! I love the fact that it's really easy to setup and play and is good for jamming with others, if there's one thing I wish it had it would have to be built in backing tracks so that I wouldn't have to plug my MP3 in all the time, apart from that it is perfect. I highly recommend this amp and would take a serious look into it before choosing which amp to buy, and it this price it's a steal, I think it may have gone up to 79 now I'm not sure, but still a steal. If possible, try it before you buy because everyone has their own preferences. Solid amp, with a solid sound.

Obviously this amp was not made to be used at gigs but it could be used at a small venue, I.e. Schools performances and pub gigs. It is extremely durable as I have dropped it a couple of times once halfway down the stairs and the other time when putting it away behind the bed, and it has had no damage what'soever, it doesn't get dusty quickly and is easy to store away because of it's size and it is very hard-wearing. Very Good Quality.

This amp is perfect for a beginner, it's not too complcated but it's not too simple either, there are 4 preset modes on this amp these are: Clean, Crunch (My Favourite), Metal and Insane. All the channels provide a good sound and do their job flawlessly. A plus point to these settings is that if you want to tweak the sound you can do so by tweaking the respective knobs and then save your own setting under that name by holding the button for that mode down. I am a bedroom guitarist Who mostly plays things with a hint of wetness and distortion (Nirvana, Hendrix, Deep Purple, GnR etc.) and for me this is the perfect amp, it has just the right amount of each type of sound and is not too loud if you're someone Who likes playing quietly. It has a headphone jack so that you can rock out in private, and output slot so that you can record to your PC and you can also use the headphone jack to plug your MP3 player in and Jam along with your favourite tunes. There are also 6 effects including, octaver, delay, chorus and phaser(perfect for the Machine Head stuff), of these you can apply two at any one time. The main competition for this amp would be the Peavey Vypyr 15 (worth checking out), but I didn't think it was worth 20 more and it has been reported to be unreliable.

Yegor95
    Ive got a kramer striker and this and when i play a powerchord, it sounds like the tremolo is on, even when it's not. Whats's up with that???
    sewoo55
    one of my friends have this amp, and i tryed it. ..... the distortion sounds fake
    HoyoDeMonterrey
    I recently purchased this amp. I will be returning it. I don't usually expect much from a cheap amp but I expected more based on the reviews here. It really doesn't live up to the hype.