Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

I run an Ibanez S620EXQM(H-H pickups) into it, previously I used a DigiTech RP250 in between, but I sold that. In the last few months, ever since I have been pedal-less, I've been paying more attention to the amp, and I realised I could get some good sounds after a bit of tweaking. The clean channel is very usable, you can get some really sweet sound with the delyay and a touch of chorus. The crunch channel is the one I use most. I added the distortion boost, turned the gain all the way up, messed around with the EQ and added some delay, and suddenly I gained a new respect for this amp, as I got a very sweet, fluid, tubey sound, perfect for Hard Rock soloing. A nice rhythm crunch can also be had without much difficulty. The metal channel is the one I've used the least, perhaps I didn't give it a fair chance. I thought that it didn't have enough gain or the chunk required to play the genres it is advertised to, no Megadeth/Metallica sounds there. The Insane channel was a bit saturated, but once I puller the Drive back a bit, and tried scooping the mids, I got a nice thrash/post thrash sound(think Pantera). All in all it suits my music styles nicely for home practice, and just jamming with my drummer. It's not tube, but it's excellent(and underrated) for the price. I repeat, for the price.

I play Hard Rock, Thrash, Classic Rock, Classic Metal, Blues, Blues-Rock, Psychadelic and a bit of Death Metal. I've never really used the amp to get my sounds, but it does the job decently when required, without ever being brilliant. It is very underrated. If it were lost/stolen, I would probably upgrade to a tube of similar wattage, now that I've the funds, but it's not a bad deal for $100.

It's very sturdily built, althoug I do take good care of my gear. It hasn't flipped out on me, the only time it's had to go for a rewpair was when I managed to get part of my cable stuck in the input. I regularly sit on the amp, etc and it seems to be well built. Only issue I had was that the front is not very hard, it's some kind of fabric grill, not very tough.

I bought it in 2008, and I think it was made in that year. It's a 15 watt Solid State, 8' Line 6 "custom" speaker. It has 4 channels, Clean, Crunch, Metal and Insane.There are 6 different effects, grouped into 2 knobs. The first one has Chorus/Flanger, Phaser and Tremolo, and the second one has Seep Echo, Tape Echo and Reverb. Except for the 2 Echoes, which can be modified using a tap tempo button as well, all the effects can be modified only through a single parameter. You cane save 4 different sounds, one on each channel. There's a distortion boost and a noise gate built in(I've heard you can bypass the modelling too, but yet to try it out). There's also a 1/4' line out/headphone jack, and a 1/8' auxiliary input for iPods and the like. All in all, there's nothing else really in terms of features that you chould reall ask for in an amp of this budget/