Spider III 15 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 15

Purchased from: Craigslist

I use a Standard Stratocaster LH from Fender with 3 stock single coils. It suits my style perfectly which is clessic rock, punk, ska, and Indie bands. It can be rather noisy if the overdrive is high (past 12 o'clock) especially on Crunch, Metal, and Insane settings. A lot of variety with tones and sounds, just a limited number of effects and number of concurrent effects. 6 total, only 2 concurrent. As long as the volume is not past about 1 or 2 o'clock, it won't get too muddy. The distortion and reverb are both great, but the distortion never seems to sound brutal. Granted quite noisy, but doesn't affect the quality of the drive.

This amp is for any style, the spectrum is endless. Like I said you can get great clean tones for jazz and some Indie music, crunchy, punky tones for rock and punk. I am quite a successful rhythm guitarist in my own band and haven't even been playing a year. I play this Spider III 15W through my Fender Standard Stratocaster and love every little tone I get out of it. As for me now, I would probably go a bit more high quality than this, maybe a new Epiphone, Fender, VOX, or Marshall Tube amp for a new slew of stompbox effects. What I love the most is the Clean and Drive channels with the Drive and Reverb. I just wish one could use more than 2 effects at the same time.

Yes I have depended on this for a year now, and it has no sign of letting up. For all the time I put into playing guitar, be it practicing at home, jamming with some friends, and small gigs, this amp can handle all of it, and then some. If one neglects this it will break in the end, but it hasn't let me down yet.

This amp was made in 2006 and must say for any beginner guitarist, this is the amp to buy. One can play from clean jazzy tones, to classic rock, to metal, to absolutely anything. As for myself, I only use the CLEAN and CRUNCH amp model with overdrive and reverb. Sometimes I'll put on the flanger and delays. Pretty solid effects, but will only take a guitar player so far. I wish it had more effects that are controllable and easily switchable in the middle of a song. I use this amp for my band practices, small gigs, and parties and it packs plenty of punch.