Spider III 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Line 6: Spider III 15

I use(d) this to play styles from metal (Iron Maiden) to death metal (Cannibal Corpse) and found it hit neither tone very well. I know its not the guitar since I've cranked some serious metal tones out of my Jackson, and I spent hours and hours eq'ing on this to end up with an all round horrible tone on every channel, spare clean. The distortion is pathetically weak, even on insane (which just mudds your tone horrifically). It gets a two, only for the half decent tones capable from the clean channel.

Overall, this amp left me a bitterly disappointed. For anything that requires any distortion, this amp is USELESS. I wish I had've been able to sit down with it and try it properly, but the staff at the store I bought it refused (probably because they knew I wouldn't buy it if I had been able to). If it were stolen I'd laugh at whoever was stupid enough to steal it and wish them well with it. I bought a Peavey Vypyr almost instantly afterwards and haven't had a single problem with that, its a dream of a modeller. Overall, please do NOT buy this thing, you'll spend hours afterwards wondering why you did.

To make matters worse, this thing wasn't even built well. It broke down on me almost every session, sometimes without returning to working order for more than a week at a time. I took it to a few small jams with other guitarists and it was out competed by even a Crate flexwave15R. I would never gig with it, mostly because the wattage is too low, and because its a legitimate joke (and I use a 6505+ for shows). It gets a one because it is just that bad.

I'm not going to list the features since everyone before me has already done it. This amp is more or less a joke for anyone who has any degree of idea to what they're doing. It has enough power to fuel a bedroom practice session, but nothing more. I give it a 6 only for features.

BlackDeath92
    [quote]jorge-fg wrote: I have this amp, the insane mode is insane! Isn't that the whole point?
    KoK_Guitarist
    Soroki wrote: The Insane setting is TERRIBLE. It hurts my ears whenever I hear someone playing the Spider III at Guitar Center. The tones are hideous and unprofessional. You have to be partially deaf to think that crap sounds good. It is so distorted it sounds horrible....
    You should try the clean settings and then throw in any distortion pedal. It works for me cuz i own this amp. Yes the Insane settings are kinda of muddy but when i had it on the clean channel, i was doing some experimenting with a few distortion pedals that i have and so far the results i've been getting are louder and fatter tones. you just have to tweak with both the amp and pedal setting and you're good to go. Keep on shredding
    A7X-SynGates
    I'm really interested by the Line 6 Spider IV 120 watts, I would like to know what would be its price and also is there any others amplifiers that offers almost the same amount of options. By that I mean the presets about the sound and the distortion.