Spider III 15 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Line 6: Spider III 15

Purchased from: OnStage Music Factory

I used it with a Cort X-1 for 2 years but a couple of weeks ago I bought an Ibanez RG1520A Prestige. You can check out the guitar at this link.The guitar has humbuckers. The amp is noisy when supplied with inefficient power supply. The sound it makes isn't too good. The clean at high volumes gets distorted & the insane & metal channels generate average distortion. I used to love it until an year ago but now my ear has matured so I want a better tone.

As I have said I'm a metal player & the amp is pretty ok for that. I've been playing for almost 4 years. My Cort X-1 is gathering dust in my house's storeroom & I don't have any units but I'll probably buy a Boss Metal Zone sooner or later. If it were stolen or lost I WOULD DEFINITELY NOT BUY IT AGAIN. Probably go for a Fender HOT Rod. Its very average for me overall & I SOMEWHAT REGRET BUYING IT.

It's quite sturdy never had any problem with it, on the stage or at home what'soever.

It's a solid state amp. Dunno when was it made. It's quite versatile for the stuff I play which is 85% metal like Megadeth, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, BFMV & then the rock genres like Mr. Big, Van Halen etc. 4 channels-clean, crunch, metal & insane. Some effects like tape & sweep echo, reverb but no wah-wah of course. Headphones jack & audio input. It isn't too loud for me but that's usual for just 15W.

foconn1012
    I own a Spider 6 III. Its good for practice I guess. I agree that the insane volume has too mush distortion. I do not play Heavy metal, so am not sure if it would be good for that. I cannot seem o get the sound I am after but then again it my be the guitar I am using. I use A Fender Strat (Affinity addition) I think it may be the cheap factory ones. I have been tweaking the amp looking for that sound that you find in lead. I do a fair amount of bends. Since I bought my Fender Strat I did not know how long the strings so I replaced them with .09's of easier bends Thinking I would get the sound that I am after. I was wrong. I have not played around with the amp settings as much as I should, But I will from now on. I like the sound of the Les Paul, but a god one is out of my price range right now. I bought this gear so that when I retire I will have something to do. And I do Love music. I am not sure if putting a set of umbuckers in the Fender Strat will be advisable or not. I will look at m options. It just my be better to buy a new guitar. My next amp will be from 75 watts and I will certionally bring my Guitar to try and do some comparing.
    nirvanarules888
    My friend has the spide 3 which is great and I have the fender g dec 15 the second model I find there both good but you really need the pedal to optimize the amp that way you can rcord loops and play with them with no delay or play a song and kick in the drum loops as well plus if you dont like the presets just go online and chenge them same with the back music drum loops etc, plus it comes with recording software that lets you do almost anything. I prefer my G dec because I also have a fender strat but the spider 3 kicks ass 2 you just have to know how to set them up and like I said you have to have the pedal.
    BlackDeath92
    The Only way I have ever got a good tone out of this amp was to plug in a Boss NS2, CS3, and MT2. Playing without any pedals, it sounds awful. I'm using a Jackson RR3 with Blackout PUs. Don't get a Spider. The new Spider IV sounds about the same.
    PsiGuy60
    These reviews remind me of all those wasted hours at guitar stores trying not to get forced to try out guitars on this amp. No matter what you do, it makes any guitar sound the same (which is to say, it makes any guitar sound like an episode of explosive diarrhea)
    Cannibal Koala
    These reviews reminds me of times when I come in to Guitar Center or Music n' More and I start looking at the 6505's and the HT Clubs and some salesman comes up to me and asks me "Wouldn't you just like some cool effects? Do I have a deal for you!", and they show me this.
    DJ_Effrey
    I can only hope that anyone who gave this more than a 6 was either held at gunpoint by someone who has interests in Line 6 or was just completely wasted, because the amp reall isn't very good. At all.
    Vypor
    People talk down about these Spider 3's too much, You can get a nice tone out of any amp if you toy with it a little. That being said, The line 6 Spider Valve series amps are phenomenal.
    stonedhippos
    i have used this amp for 3 years and it is (in my opinion)the perfect practice amp. however, i only play a7x, ATR, Disturbed, and Soundgarden so i never really use the clean. i set it to sound pretty awesome on the metal setting with a $90 squier, showing that the amp isn't bad for $50-75. Despite all of that, however, i wouldn't dare use this (or the squier) for a gig or concert because the thing would sound way ****ed up since it just isn't built for it.
    GJL1970
    shoule79 wrote: There is a reason absolutely no (decent) recording artists use digital amps.
    B.B. King alone is enough to dispel that myth (a Lab Series L5 player to this day) and he is far from alone. http://acapella.harmony-central.com/arch... php/t-2314976.html Many player after a pure clean tone opt for solid state and as such its a popular choice for Jazz players.
    ovation08
    Test out the Peavey Vyper before buying a Spyder 15. I think you would like it much better. Also, if you paid $179 for the Spyder, you paid too much. You can find them used in good condition for around $50 bucks.
    MaggaraMarine
    bustapr wrote: shoule79 wrote: Just get a tube amp, any tube amp. You can find them used in this price range. There is a reason absolutely no (decent) recording artists use digital amps. A crap tubeamp wont be better than a modelling amp in this $100 price range. Theres a reason why they call these practice amps. No good artist will use a crap 1-5 watt $100 tube amp to record anything, theyd use "good" tube amp and likely with a nice pedalboard.
    Tell me where I can find a tube amp with $100. And I think those 1-5 watt amps are made for studio use: You can crank them up without being damn loud. And I don't think any artist uses their pedals for their main sound (maybe an OD or boost). Guitar -> amp is the way to go for your main tone.
    MaggaraMarine
    MaggaraMarine wrote: C_majzer wrote: NO I don't really have a PRS... but if I did, you could have it--IF you can find an combo amp better than the CUBE 60 from ROLAND. JCM2000?
    Oh yeah, I have to say that I don't like digital amps any more. Too many sounds to start with (and you are going to use only one or two of them) and they are always lacking something in tone. It's the warmth, the mojo, something, I don't know. I have a Micro Cube, it's OK but it's lacking something. It doesn't get almost there. Yeah and I think that it's time to buy a new amp, it doesn't really do justice to my Charvel guitar.
    bustapr
    JCM2000?
    ryan_devison
    DO NOT buy a Boss Metal-zone! that does NOT give you a heavy tone, rather something tinny. I have one built in on my BOSS ME-70, and i never go near the Metal-Zone. Boss released some newer pedals last year that is much better then the metal-zone, most notably the Power-Stack. I Just got a MXR Dime Distortion and thats really good for High gain Distortion, as well as sustain. However i DESPERATELY need a Noise Reduction Pedal.
    GJL1970
    That said if your just referring to digital modelling amps rather than just Solid State then I would suspect the list is far smaller.
    Fp020
    i use this amp n i only can say a thing about it... s*** the distortion is the only thing that can "save" it...
    reiley.jsm
    So ive been using this amp for the past four years actually its the only amp i own unfortunately but its worked fairly well. ive had no problems from it aside from the phaser on the clean effect (fix it by pushing the tap delay really fast till the light is solid) which really pissed me off. not very good for running pedals through it but other than that. id give it a 4/5