Spider III 150 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 150

I'm using a Schecter Damien 7 with EMGHZ 7A passive humbuckers and a Schecter C7 FR with Duncan Designed HB-105 Active humbuckers and a Liscenced Floyd Rose. It suits the styles of music I stated above very well. It isn't noisy at all because of a built in noise gate even though I run the gain booster on every channel. I can get every guitar tone from Ihsahn of Emperor all the wat to something like B.B. King or Eric Clapton. It's pretty much amazing. It's always distorted at some level because I have the gain booster running on every channel so yea, but without it no. The distortion kills you, kills you in the afterlife, and rapes your soul in the process.

I play in a jazz trio, a deathcore band, and prog band and it handles all three very well, just still want my Whammy. I've been playing for two years with an eight hour a day practice regimen. I also own the guitars I stated earlier, as well as a Fender Tye-dye Stratocaster, and a Crate 65GLX 1x12 combo. I wished I would have asked if someone could mod it for an effects loop. If it were lost or stolen WWIII would begin in my search for it. I love everything about this with the exception of the lack of a whammy model or an effects loop. My favorite features are the gain booster and noise gate. I didn't really compare it because I knew it was amazing before I bought it. I wish it had the whammy model and/or effects loop.

I could definitely depend on this thing. It's built like a tank except for the casters, they fell off rather quick but that is very easy to fix and doesnt't effect the amp overall. I would and have use/d this amp only for a gig. It has never broken down because I take care of it and never neglect it though I have dropped it and cracked the tile it got dropped on so I'm not really worried about it.

It's a 2008 model. I play everything from jazz to black metal and this amp can handle it very well. This amp has nine banks, four channels per bank. It has channel switching via front panel or optional footswitch (several available). Sadly it has no effects loop for the few effects it doesn't have. It has a headphone jack located on the front panel in between the footswitch jack and power Switch. I wish the FBV express had a whammy model on it but that's about the only thing I would need that this doesnt't have. I don't like Floyd Rose, Kahler, or any other type of tremolo so I bought a whammy pedal now but can't really use it because it sounds like hell through the front of the amp. There aren't any features I don't use because I love effects. I use this amp for solo practice, band practice and gigs. it's a 150 watt beast, you shouldn't need much more than that power wise.

bdof
    You know, I used to think this was a great amp. I had bought it back in Jan 2007 and a Marshall 1960 cab to boot. For $400 for the head, it really is a descent SS amp. So many different amp settings and FX's to boot. Problem was that there was no point to switch from one overdriven sound to another because they sounded nothing alike and sounded just plain wrong when playing. From clean to distortion was cool I guess. So it seemed like a really cool amp to me and then I heard about the new tube Spider coming out, and I'll admit that that's a pretty cool amp for $800, but it shares the same faults as the SS version. Sounded great....till I tried a true all tube amp. I made the mistake of trying a Soldano HR+ 100 out at a guitar center, which forever spoiled me So I agree this is a decent amp for the price, but it also deserves all the flaming it gets from people. That's only if you have tried this amp and are not just hoping on the "hate Line 6" bandwagon.
    24fretsftw
    Okay this amp annoys me. I've had it for 8 months, I use an Ibanez RG350DX/behringer UM 300/FBV express. Problem is, everytime I get close to buying a new amp with a better sound, I discover a new setting on my 75W spider III which blows it out of the water, and I forget the whole thing again. It's just amazing for the 200 I paid, I'd reccommend it to any relatively new player (up to 3/4 years I'd imagine).
    D_Force 4 EVER
    at the risk of trying not to repeat what everyone has said about this amp already i have played on the amp with an ibanez s320 with stock pups and i have to say to me it sounded pretty dern good. this thing will NOT out do a marshall stack or anything like that by any means but this is a pretty dern good amp. but for all you who are trashing it, just because you hate doesnt mean the next guy will too, its all about taste and preference. i suggest that if you decide to buy an amp, try a few and buy what fits your playing style. this amp is pretty to me but that just my preference. try some out, find one that fits you, buy it. =] keep rockin everyone!