Spider III 150 review by Line 6

Line 6: Spider III 150

The amp comes with a variety of presets and such that can lead the user to almost become overwhelmed by the number of "different" tones that are supposedly offered. I play with a B\.C\. Rich Bronze Warlock used mainly for black metal and thrash metal types of music and the amp does a decent job for the playing I do, but I need more to get the sound I want out of it and after playing with the settings I only really use the For whom the bell tolls setting and the another brick in the wall settings to get and good tone out of it +/- chorus and reverb. If you are looking for a clean sound I would say get something to enhance the amp or soemthing because the clean is kind of buzzy in my ear (although that may be due to my guitar I suppose). The Overdrive is solid but doesnt't offer the growl I look for unless it's peaked. In my stlye of playing less is usually more, which means that my amp needs to give me more with less input and that's something I don't find in this amp. Also, the EQ is not very user friendly with the amp. It has pretty much none.

Overall, I wish I had saved my money for a Krank or a 5150 or something like that but hey, what can you expect from a solid state. I've seen Eddie Van Halen using ine of these with his son so they couldnt be that bad, but for a more sinister tone, or a plain ol heavier tone stick with a Marshall or vader cabinet or something becasue this isnt going to make you a metal master by any stretch of the means, but again if you are just learning and get it for christmas or something and are just at home practicing then this is a great amp to have to explore the differnt ways to use effects and such.

reliability eh? I would crawl inside of it if an atomic bomb was fixing to drop. This thing will probably last me my whole life since I try and take good care of it, and don't leave things on or around it that can corrode or spill on it. It has Celestion speakers that I beleive have gold wiring in them and the design is more than well planned out. I've had it for a year atleast now and the knobs all work fine, the tuner button might stick a little if overused I say but it's never given me any problems.

I bought it new in 2007.Its a solid state, has built in phaser, flanger, reverb, noise gate etc. It covers a decent amount of tone that most novice guitar players would enjoy or those just looking to jam with in there free time. It has four "channels" that you can choose from that I still to this day haven't really messed with. The manual says there are different ways to get good tones out of the thing but I haven't figured quite how to yet. When I originally bought this I was in ecstacy but as of now I'm not that impressed with it. It gets the job done, but leaves something to be desired for those seeking to acheive the perfect tone; therefore, of you haven't gotten one yet, just wait for the spider IV.

roarinflames
    my buddy has this amp i used to not like it now i realize it has really amazing tone for a solid state
    sic_riffs
    I just got this amp i and i am really happy to own it the front panel is simple (for me anyways) the presets are accurate to the artists Meshuggah for example is spot on this is the most accurate preset on the amp tune to eb you got contradictions collapse in A# Chaosphere in F nothing and catch 33 the tone drastically changes on this setting as you tune down
    raddy_666
    is it loud ?????/ can some one tell me by emailing me at heartofmayhem@hotmail.com please i am thinking of the line 6 spider 3 150 watt or the flextone XL 150 watt and yeah i gig alot without a cabinet and stuff and sometimes if the crowd is like 180 people there is no PA system
    Valmonair
    I bought this amp in 2007, and the distortion is giving me problems. The amp is also buzzing. It's wierd. I'm thinking it's a connection problem. Nothing but the distortion gives me problems though.
    neil-one
    Wow, you must really suck at life!
    scottishme
    just bought this amp and it is an awesome piece of kit i play i 3 totally different bands one metal (pantera slayer and own stuff) one new classical (so classical music but with rock band set up) and a cover band and this amp is great for the metal i can choose from any of the bands in the presets if you want the metallica sound or pantera sound they are in there all ready i dialed in my own sound though which took some time but got a great sound out of it the classical side of life this amp kicks any other amps ass in clean tones and has great distortion and for the covers well what can you say everything is at your foot (as long as you get the shortboard) it does sound the same in the bedroom as it does on stage turn up the volume and let the crowds ears bleed in short this amp can do everything and is loud enough for gigs you can even addd a cab if you want to look cool on stage i use an epiphone trans amber les paul with screaming demon in the bridge and a p59 in the neck and a dean fbd ml and it sounds awesome if you are looking for a new amp i recommend this one
    GymboJones
    neil-one wrote: Sublime Stylee wrote: I've played around with a spider III extensively, and let me tell you, the tone is quite crap. Regardless of setting the tone is consistantly hollow and flat, and sorely lacks any sort of kick. On the plus side the amp is capable of playing quite loudly. I would not advise anyone to buy this product, and if you do, I feel very sorry for you and wish you better luck in future decision making. All in all, this amp is purely for beginners. Wow, you must really suck at life!
    That is not fair to say. Most of these people buying these amps are beginners who do not have a good ear for tone yet, or have only ever played through cheap amps before hand. Let me say that this is a great amp for its price, but even so, there are other amps for the same price that many people think sounds better, with effects built in to. They are the Roland Cubes, Peavey Vypyrs, and Vox Valveatronix(sp). The latter being a bit more expensive because it is a hybrid. Basically, try many amps out before buying one. Just get whichever sounds best to you.
    mostly I hate u
    I have this amp and I like it. I mostly play metal and classic rock.THE BAD- The speakers distort and give out when I crank the volume really high. Pedals and this amp do not mix well at all. Out of the 400 presets 395 of them suck ass. Other than those flaws the amp can make some good tones. The amp comes with some good Metallica and Ozzy presets. If you are thinking about buying this amp, look around before you buy. I wish I still had my Randall to be honest. Im not saying this amp sucks but it certainly does not rule. Sure its great for me cuz I don't gig or anything. By no means does this amp sound like a tube amp on any setting.
    Necro-cide
    I'm looking at getting an amp for live performances. I've got a Jackson King V, and i'd probably use my Boss MT-2 through it. I play in a band that's kinda midground between, Children of Bodom, Dream Theater and Into Eternity. Does anyone reccomend this amp? As i know alot of amps are awesome, but can let you down when you plug a distortion pedal in. If anyone reccomends this, or maybe another amp that'll do the trick? This is about my ideal price range really, at about 300, but i could go slightly higher, it'd just take longer lol. cheers for any help. x
    Aditya_ram
    @ bliyzer Dude go for the Line 6 150W and u wont regret it... i compared the 150W spider 3 to the mg100dfx and the spider owned it @ Necro-cide this is probably one of the BEST amps for metal and distortion leads as well as cleans.. go for it
    trwrhys
    Landon54 wrote: I wanna get this amp, but was wondering how loud it goes. I would need it for playing outside gigs, without a PA system or anything. I also heard that when hooked up to something external (like a PA) that no sound comes out of the amp, and only out of the externals. Is this true?
    I'm not sure about the PA thing, but this amp is seriously loud like most line 6 amps. I haven't had the volume higher than half way yet because it makes the room shake!!
    robin0220
    mccneb_86
    robin0220 wrote: i have it now 2 years and it got broken. but its fix now and it sounds better but he is loud. its not normal 3 o clock and the windows shake.
    at 3 o'clock you ears start bleeding